When do you “need” to replace vinyl liner?

Jun 22, 2011
Hopkinton, NH
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
15 ish year old pool, original liner. I’ve been owner for the past ten years and we have significant whitening of the liner with some discoloration for the last couple of years - looks like where leaves sat the year we didn’t cover the pool...No leaks or tears that I know of. A corner is pulling a bit.

when do I HAVE to replace the liner? I suspect with the pandemic it may be a challenge, and if it’s not necessary, I think I can live with the very very faded aesthetics.

if we do ”need” to replace... where does one drain 23,000 gallons TO???

You don’t have to replace the liner until it develops tears or leaks.

Where you drain to depends on your property. Where does water drain to in a major storm?

Hey stkids !! If you *need* to replace your liner you will know from the water loss. The majority of folks *choose* to replace the liner because it is just so faded that it’s ugly.

Here is to hoping that it’s your choice when the time comes and not one that’s made for you :)

Hey stkids !! If you *need* to replace your liner you will know from the water loss. The majority of folks *choose* to replace the liner because it is just so faded that it’s ugly.

Here is to hoping that it’s your choice when the time comes and not one that’s made for you :)
It is ugly. But functional! #nojudgement ;)

Reactions: Newdude
Last year, after 16 years of use, we replaced our liner. I was not losing water, it was very faded, but the determining factor for me was, the condition of the liner in the corners. I have rounded corners, and in 2019, I saw a very small tear, less than 1/4" long above the water line, which I patched to prevent tear growth. When I inspected the corners above the water line, I noticed they were dried and had an alligator skin appearance. It appeared to me, that I was on borrowed time, the corners were dried and starting to become brittle.

I would look at the corners very closely, and observe the condition. The corners probably have more stress than other parts of the liner. I hope this helps you make your decision.

Our liner is very faded. It's a 13 year old pool on the original liner, but I have only owned it for 2 1/2 years, and I will continue to use the liner until it starts leaking or failing.

if we do ”need” to replace... where does one drain 23,000 gallons TO???
Check with your town on this one. My city requires pool discharge to be directed to the storm sewer. Some places might prohibit that and require discharge to the sanitary sewer. Others may have different requirements. For me, I attach a hose and run it to my driveway, where the water runs down into the street and finds its way to the sewer.

I had same the scenario as drsipe stated above. Watch your corners that get the most sun. Starts right above water line. The good thing is that the vinyl that you will replace it with is much better that the stuff from 15 years ago.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.