When do you “need” to replace vinyl liner?

stkidsdoc

Jun 22, 2011
15 ish year old pool, original liner. I’ve been owner for the past ten years and we have significant whitening of the liner with some discoloration for the last couple of years - looks like where leaves sat the year we didn’t cover the pool...No leaks or tears that I know of. A corner is pulling a bit.

when do I HAVE to replace the liner? I suspect with the pandemic it may be a challenge, and if it’s not necessary, I think I can live with the very very faded aesthetics.

if we do ”need” to replace... where does one drain 23,000 gallons TO???

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
You don’t have to replace the liner until it develops tears or leaks.

Where you drain to depends on your property. Where does water drain to in a major storm?

stkidsdoc

Jun 22, 2011
You don’t have to replace the liner until it develops tears or leaks.

Where you drain to depends on your property. Where does water drain to in a major storm?
The culvert that leads down to a Brook. no sewer here.

Newdude

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jun 16, 2019
NY
Hey stkids !! If you *need* to replace your liner you will know from the water loss. The majority of folks *choose* to replace the liner because it is just so faded that it’s ugly.

Here is to hoping that it’s your choice when the time comes and not one that’s made for you :)

stkidsdoc

Jun 22, 2011
Hey stkids !! If you *need* to replace your liner you will know from the water loss. The majority of folks *choose* to replace the liner because it is just so faded that it’s ugly.

Here is to hoping that it’s your choice when the time comes and not one that’s made for you :)
It is ugly. But functional! #nojudgement ;)

Reactions: Newdude

drsipe

Gold Supporter
Jul 24, 2020
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Last year, after 16 years of use, we replaced our liner. I was not losing water, it was very faded, but the determining factor for me was, the condition of the liner in the corners. I have rounded corners, and in 2019, I saw a very small tear, less than 1/4" long above the water line, which I patched to prevent tear growth. When I inspected the corners above the water line, I noticed they were dried and had an alligator skin appearance. It appeared to me, that I was on borrowed time, the corners were dried and starting to become brittle.

I would look at the corners very closely, and observe the condition. The corners probably have more stress than other parts of the liner. I hope this helps you make your decision.

Reactions: JWLuke