When do I add a chlorine caartridge?

passionsrlz

Jun 4, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
I do not have my own test kit yet so I have to keep running to pool store. I opened a pool that was unused for two years. I have gotten the water balanced and am now working on getting rid of the dead algae/looks like a snowglobe, in my pool. At what point do I put in a chlorine cartridge that attatches to my filter?

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
I am not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about adding pucks to an inline chlorinator, or are you asking about changing the cartridge for your filter?

passionsrlz

Jun 4, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
sorry.....new to this pool thing.......I have the chlorine cartridges that come with clorine already in in and you replace when it is empty. the pool store told me not to put one in because my pool wasnt ready, and that it would use it very quickly. when is it considered ready? does that make more sense?

woodyp

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 17, 2010
East Texas
Tell us what you mean by a chlorine "cartridge". Are you talking about the round white solid pucks themselves, a plastic floater you put them in the pool with, or an inline chlorinator (plumbed into the pumping system) which is adjustable for rate of flow that contains the pucks?

poolgirl22

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2010
Stephens City, VA
A photograph might help the group know to what you are referring. Brand name? What's the apparatus called which you place the cartridges?

Other Threads of Interest