What's this on my tile?

bobandsherry

Bronze Supporter
Apr 20, 2016
Riverview, FL
Pool installed last year. Most of the pool tile looks fine with exception of these two spots. I've tried scrubbing these areas with pumice stone and it helps to clean it up. But continues to come back, even during really​ dry winter. Tile line remains clean so don't think this is scaling. Is this efflorescence or something else? Any suggestions on how to treat area so it doesn't come back?

06f80b391a9e1583ac62c0a90d34d44a.jpg

64f931e805ff0fcf560a68b1af822429.jpg

390b7685f3c1604fb1a261ff33b7d535.jpg

4c892182cb70e71891598b139b604eb5.jpg

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

It is efflorescence. It is easy to clean but it is almost impossible to stop from coming back.

Cleaning-muratic acid 1 to 4 water. Remember that m.a. lowers PH but I don't think you will be using that much so it should not be a big worry.

Do you have any pics of your build in those areas? Can you tell what is behind those areas? IF you can figure out what is back there you might be able to dig to that area and water proof it so stop the moisture from pushing through to the tile.

Kim:kim:

That area has the pool wall and then wall for enclosure footer with fill between. Here's picture from​ the build.

4ef0d935afa802933c598d8185df23eb.jpg

And here is currently (problem areas are too the left of each of the shear descents).
7cf918b9aaf8f4f6eb618f39d4f821d9.jpg

The winter here has been REALLY dry (only a couple of inches of rain since November) so I thought that, if this was efflorescence it wouldn't show up with the dry conditions. Just strange it's only in those two areas.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Interesting they are both to the left of the sheers.............Go look at your build pics real close.........could the sheers or water supply for the sheers be causing that? It is equal distance from each sheer for both spots?

Just thinking out loud up there.

Kim:kim:

Good thought. The problem areas are different distance from the descents. I've also had the descents off since early November so no water supply to those for months. With dry winter and no water to the descents it had me really wondering why I'd have efflorescence showing up still. I thought maybe leakage from pool shell, but pool itself is holding water level relatively steady, only had drop of 4 inches or so in 5 months along with 2 inches of rain. Must be moisture coming from somewhere.

Rainwater could be seeping through your tile decking and then down to the substrate underneath. For some reason the path of least resistance is for that water to continue downward and finally go through your pool tile.

I would've suspected a leak in the supply to the sheers but you say they have been off.

Efflorescence eventually goes away as the mineral supply gets used up. It may take a long time, though.

Clean it with muriatic and observe it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That close up of your grout indicates it needs whitening. The muriatic may do that anyway or you may have to clean it with detergent to get a color match. Just rinse the tile/grout off right away and it'll be fine.

The muriatic will also eat just about any cloth you use. I have used a "deck brush" that is acid proof.

The plants behind the birdcage get watered, right? Could the sprinkler be soaking the ground there too much since its fairly close to the pool edge?

Just wondering.... :scratch:

Yippee :flower:
Hmmm.... I don't think so, the sprinkler for plants is a drip line. There's two concrete walls that water would have to pass through, the outer footer wall and the pool wall. Ground there is not saturated by checking soil around plants.

- - - Updated - - -

That close up of your grout indicates it needs whitening. The muriatic may do that anyway or you may have to clean it with detergent to get a color match. Just rinse the tile/grout off right away and it'll be fine.

The muriatic will also eat just about any cloth you use. I have used a "deck brush" that is acid proof.
The grout is not white, it's a beige color to tie in with the pavers. I do need to get into the pool and get a brush to the grout, hopefully water gets warm enough here in next couple weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.