What's the TFP response when your 2 year old has a poo in your pool?

CGoodyear

Gold Supporter
Aug 16, 2015
Ibiza, Spain
Firstly I'm thinking adoption right...but that's going to take some paperwork so I'll come back to it.

In the short term I just dumped enough bleach in to raise my standard 3 ppm CL to a total of 9 ppm. And put the pump on.

In the baby defence she was wearing a swimming nappy so it was fairly contained, but still gross :sick:

Anything else I need to consider??
Was the 9ppm an over/under reaction?

Many thanks.
Chad

Remove all solid contents with skimmer net... SLAM for 24-48 hours, then backwash the filter

Leave the skimming net in the pool during the SLAM so any residue on it dies

Has the child been sick? Poop liquid or solid? Sick and liquid means more aggressive response.

Chlorine level for SLAM will be determined by CYA level based on the chart

Thanks for the quick response. I checked the app for SLAM level based on last weeks CYA level of 45.
Thats giving me a SLAM Target FC of 10. (If I'm reading the app correctly) so i'm pretty close. I'll dump the rest of my bleach in and hit the store tomorrow.

Are kids ever not sick :rolleyes::LOL: I would say sick on and off in that department for the last week. How far beyond SLAM do I go to be sure?

48 hours of SLAMing for liquid poop should be good. Just remember that you should round your CYA up to 50. Backwash after you are done and leave anything you used to remove the poop in the water so that it is exposed to chlorine. When chlorine level falls below SLAM level you can resume swimming after backwash at 48 hours

I am not questioning the advice here, but would like to understand the recommendations better, given that we had a poopisode with the grandson recently. I have seen advice ranging from raise FC 2 ppm (CDC) to raise to SLAM levels (TFP). Obviously erring on the side of caution has little downside, except that if we had been at recommended CYA levels (we have a SWCG) it would have been a lot harder to get to SLAM levels.
In our case, we are either going to end up keeping cya a little lower than recommended in case we need to slam, or not raising to full SLAM level after a poopisode.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.