What's the hottest your pool gets?

Last year, we were in the 93-94 temps in mid August. This year with more clouds and relatively frequent afternoon showers, the highest we've hit is 91. Like drsipe, above, my wife would prefer 93 as minimum temp.

Here's a question--probably most applicable to people in the gulf south, but other places maybe, too. Have you considered rerouting the condensate drains from your central air to the pool? Depending on locale and A/C size, your air conditioning can take 5-20 gallons of moisture from the air every day. Even a whole house dehumidifier can generate 10-12 gallons of "sort-of" distilled water a day. As you know, that condensate is cold water, and it's also wasted water, since it typically goes into the sanitary sewer line. It's pretty clean and pure and so would not add anything to the pool but cool water, helping with two summertime pool issues: evaporation and heat.

I'm right now getting quotes for a whole house dehumidifier, and part of my plan is to route the condensate via PVC or PEX piping to the pool. I'm also considering having the A/C condensate rerouted at the same time. Am I crazy?

When we lived in WA state, north of Seattle, our pool hit a high of 88. I think that was about 3 years ago. That was a 20x40, 36k gallon pool with a solar cover.

When we lived in WA state, north of Seattle, our pool hit a high of 88. I think that was about 3 years ago. That was a 20x40, 36k gallon pool with a solar cover.
Wow! What a move! Seattle to North Carolina? Big inground to above ground? How's the culture shock?

Well, glad to be out of the lunacy that Seattle and it's suburbs have created. Wish we could have the same pool here that we had there, it was amazing. Even more sucky is the fact that our house had a proper IG pool, but the POs filled it in like 5 years ago. Aside from the high humidity (coupled with the high heat at times) we are quite happy here.

Well, glad to be out of the lunacy that Seattle and it's suburbs have created. Wish we could have the same pool here that we had there, it was amazing. Even more sucky is the fact that our house had a proper IG pool, but the POs filled it in like 5 years ago. Aside from the high humidity (coupled with the high heat at times) we are quite happy here.
See my inquiry about A/C condensate being routed to a pool. What do you think? Here, 45 miles from the Gulf of Mexico an an altitude of 60ft above sea level, humidity is a way of life. When I went out to clean the skimmer socks at 7:30am, it was 83 degrees and 80% RH. Even now almost noon and it's still 65% RH (and 53% RH indoors which is why I'm looking at whole house dehumidifier.) Our last house had two speed condensers and variable speed furnace fans that would run at low speed after target temp was achieved, until the target RH was reached (usually 45%). Our new house was a spec, so we had no choice in A/C. It's virtually impossible to get the RH below 50% without running the temp down to 70 or lower. And that's both expensive and a bit irresponsible.

Here in the Pacific Northwest, pools without heating top out around 75 degrees at most.
This is why I installed a solar panel. During the big heatwave we had my water hit 92....but since it was 100+ out of the water that felt kinda nice. This week we've been hovering between 82-85 (currently 84).

Reactions: borjis
See my inquiry about A/C condensate being routed to a pool. What do you think?
I don't think you will see the cooling effect you think you will with this. I am on city water, but also have a well in downtown Charleston that I use to top up the pool when it needs it. The well water is 55 degrees and even putting in about 2" of top up, I don't even see a 1 degree reduction in pool temp.

On the heels of my last post. So I am literally filling my pool for the first time, almost done today. I just checked with a digital thermometer...ground water is 78.4, the pool is already at 82.7. I took quite a while to fill (over the course of like 2-1/2 days) as I had a filter on the hose for about 75% of the fill. Finally got tired of waiting and pulled it off. As of this message, have about 1" to go!
1628889067966.png1628889086361.png

So far 90. But we didn't have a full season so we'll see. Today the pool was 89 and we had a dry heat. Which was a shock after several days of extreme humidity. It was perfect. A bit chilly when we got out though... 🤣

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I was in MI, without a heater, the hottest the pool would get is 80 or so.

At my pool in GA it would reach temps of high 90's and was not refreshing at all. You dove in and just felt wet. I installed large shade sails over the pool, and it dropped the temp to high 80's, low 90's. That feels refreshing when it's near 100 out!

Here in FL I have a birdcage over the pool and the screen really knocks the sun down. The hottest I have ever had in this pool is 90. It's normally 87-88 during the hot summer months. I keep it 88 during the winter with the heater, and it pretty much stays at 88 during the summer.

Reactions: Snoobug
For those of you in AZ, what did your pool get to last year when we were above 110 for so long? We’ve had a pretty decent summer this year with so much rain and only double digits for quite a few weeks and ours has gotten to 92. Yuck! I guess that was before the double digits came. I can’t even imagine last year. I’ve found that my perfect water temp is 87.

We have had so much rain and clouds this year, I haven't bothered with the sail-shade. We had one day in mid/late July where it reached 92F. It was 88F this morning.

For those of you in AZ, what did your pool get to last year when we were above 110 for so long? We’ve had a pretty decent summer this year with so much rain and only double digits for quite a few weeks and ours has gotten to 92. Yuck! I guess that was before the double digits came. I can’t even imagine last year. I’ve found that my perfect water temp is 87.

I didn't have my pool last year but what i have noticed here this year, even on the days we hit 110+, my pool still didn't go over 90. I think due to it being so dry when it's that hot, more water evaporates and cools the pool. When it's been both hot and humid is when my pool hit 94. Just my observation in my first season.

Reactions: Nikilyn
When temps are over 100 for any length of time our pool will be from 95-98. It's the nights that stay over 90 that really bring the temp up. AGP vinyl. Lately with nights in the high 60 low 70s its been 80-85. Couple of years ago we left the solar cover one day to long and the pool reached 105. I actually hopped in and got back out in under 10 minutes.

• Wow
I don’t use a solar cover. Pretty much cause my old one fell apart and I can’t find a new one without going with a big rectangle and cutting to fit. So my pool never gets hotter than 82 degrees. When I had a cover, 90 degrees.

When temps are over 100 for any length of time our pool will be from 95-98. It's the nights that stay over 90 that really bring the temp up. AGP vinyl. Lately with nights in the high 60 low 70s its been 80-85. Couple of years ago we left the solar cover one day to long and the pool reached 105. I actually hopped in and got back out in under 10 minutes.
Your swings in temperature seem more extreme than ours. Do you think the vinyl has a different affect on the temp than concrete? You are a rarity to have a vinyl pool here.

Your swings in temperature seem more extreme than ours. Do you think the vinyl has a different affect on the temp than concrete? You are a rarity to have a vinyl pool here.
When the sun is hitting the sides of the pool and we are swimming I can feel the warm water coming off the inside of the pool walls. Like wise at night the cooling effect would be greater. So yes, I believe that by being above ground and vinyl would account for the swings.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.