What's pooping in my pool?

MVFM

Aug 13, 2020
North Texas (DFW)
Looks like rat or squirrel poop to me.

I tried "Repels-All" around the perimeter, which may have helped for 1 day, but after a rain seems they're at it again.
I tried setting up a blink camera, but it didn't trigger a video capture. May need to adjust sensitivity settings.

Any suggestions?
I wanted to avoid putting down "spike strips", as they seem like a hassle to place/remove at each use - but not entirely against it if nothing else works.

Attachments

• 20200813_082246.jpg
    20200813_082246.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 99
  • 20200813_082242.jpg
    20200813_082242.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 101
  • 20200813_082250.jpg
    20200813_082250.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 92
- Not ducks. I had ducks back in May, daily visitors until I chased them away a few times. Duck poop is very different, much larger. Pics below for comparison.

- Yes, it's in the pool, by the steps entering in the pool, and near a 'bench' on the shallow end.

Attachments

• duck3.jpg
    duck3.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 30
  • duck2.jpg
    duck2.jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 30
  • duck1.jpg
    duck1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 29
Looks like mouse poop to me. It seems odd that they would be pooping in the water, but I would be tempted to put a mouse trap out and see what happens.

Reactions: Dirk
Can confirm not lizard. I have a lot of lizards and they don't do that. They poop on my deck, white end. I'd start trapping. Mouse traps plus rat traps. They're pretty cheap. Try different treats each night. Be sure to tie the traps to something with a light line or rope, as animals can get snagged and then walk off with the trap. Tie them such that they can't get into the pool. If that works, it won't be pretty, but at least it'll help identify the culprit.

Edit: JJ beat me, we were typing at the same time!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The trap is the "rat handle." Cut the line, just grab the remaining line or the trap, all goes in the trash. Buy new trap.

Looks like rat or squirrel poop to me.

I tried "Repels-All" around the perimeter, which may have helped for 1 day, but after a rain seems they're at it again.
I tried setting up a blink camera, but it didn't trigger a video capture. May need to adjust sensitivity settings.

Any suggestions?
I wanted to avoid putting down "spike strips", as they seem like a hassle to place/remove at each use - but not entirely against it if nothing else works.

Are there Tree's above you? Several folks have posted about caterpillar poop

Reactions: Lineman7
Considering the size of the scat in relation to your grout line. It's something big. Rat or tree rat.

What's above?

Edit: Never mind, I missed understood your post. I vote its mice

Not 100% sure on size but my guess would be rats over squirrels. Is there poop on the deck and in the pool? I suppose if the pool is downwind it could blow in. Rats would be able to crawl out of the pool. Mice prob not. I'd want to know if they are late night swimming but that seems to be a decent amount in one place, not a single animal I'd guess. Edit - Ok good point by @Lineman7 they are likely above on branches if there are trees above.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.