What's going on????

artattacktat2

Well-known member
Jun 14, 2010
48
Piedmont of NC
Ok, I've been testing my water daily....here's what I've learned since the initial fill. Using the auto chlorinator and adjusting daily to find that sweet spot, my FC and TC have climbed and have stayed anywhere between 6-12ppm, my CC is still at 0. My friends that own pools say that I must shock and add an algaecide weekly. I'm afraid to shock as my chlorine levels have been off the chart since I first filled it and added chemicals. Water seems crystal clear, but noticed today that it seems like it may be trying to cloud just a bit. Started filtering 24/7 at first but have been filtering 8am-8pm the last few days, could that have anything to do with it? TA is 110, CYA 50-60. It's been brushed and vacuumed twice in the two weeks we've had it. It was backwashed when I first started it per installation instructions, but not since and pressure hasn't budged off the 16# of initial start up. What am I doing wrong or should I be doing????? Thanks in advance.
 

Richard320

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 6, 2010
20,997
San Dimas, CA (LA County)
Shut off the chlorinator. Give it a couple hours of circulation, then take a reading before bed. Get up a few minutes early and take another reading in the morning. If it's pretty much the same, you don't need to do anything but turn the chlorinator back on. If it dropped more than 1 ppm overnight, you need to shock.
 

257WbyMag

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
5,061
Denton, TX
Don't shock unless you need to. I've shocked once in almost three years. Keep proper levels of chlorine in there and you will never need algaecide.

Have you begun reading Pool School? There is a link to it on every page here (top right...big button).
 

artattacktat2

Well-known member
Jun 14, 2010
48
Piedmont of NC
Thanks you two. Yes I have read Pool School, actually numerous times. I'm more of a hands on learner than a reading learner. Could be that "School of Hard Knocks" that I've gotten so used to over the years! :hammer: Will do the loss test over the weekend, and continue to religiously (and anally) monitor my water chemistry. I currently have my auto chlor off, should I pull the pucks out and switch over to just 6% bleach? Kind of like the option to open that dial full tilt and chlorinate the snot out of the pool.
 

257WbyMag

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Feb 23, 2008
5,061
Denton, TX
Your CYA being 50 to 60 ppm, yes, I would start using bleach at this point since the tablets are just going to raise that CYA even higher.
 

anonapersona

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Nov 5, 2008
2,598
You are at the right place to switch to bleach, actually maybe that was a little while back. I think it is nice to run with CYA a bit lower than that, like 45-50 so that if you need to take a trip you can use the pucks with no concern of returning to find CYA too high.