What type of grout to use for shimmer glass tile? Will Sanded damage the tile?

Feb 21, 2012
S. California
We wanted to use unsanded grout, though the contractor used sanded grout, and hosed it off, and wiped it after we complained, and now several hours later we are noticing that the finish may have come off, though we are having a difficult time telling in the current available light. Also, strangely there is some type of white residue that we wipe off and it seems to keep coming back.

1. Does using sanded grout damage the finish of shimmer glass tile?
2. Any ideas what the whitish residue that seems to keep reappearing after we wipe it away?

Edit: Here is a photo showing an untouched sample and some of the installed tiles that had the grout applied and removed earlier. I circled in red some of the ones that have the whitish residue that we keep wiping away and continues to return
Thanks

Last edited:
It depends.. The company making the tiles recommends what type grout to use and if sanded or unsanded can be used.. Some glass tiles will be just fine with sanded grout and some will scratch beyond repair...

It may take lots of water and a clean sponge to clean the tiles...

here is a glass tile company and what they recommend for tile installs... Tile Installation PDF’s – Oceanside Glass & Tile

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 3
  • Grout_v2.pdf
    103.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: bellbound
1. Is it a problem if the grout residue stays on? Can it damage the tile?
2. I'm guessing the contractor is not going to spend much time taking it off (they are trying to spend as little time as possible unfortunately). Is it a problem to put new grout over the tile before removing ALL of the old residue?
3. I was wetting an old shirt and using it to wipe the residue away. Is there a better way, or some product I can use to get rid of the residue?

Thanks!

1. No, it will come off slowly
2. they should remove everything that is left.. the area between the tiles needs to be clean..
3. grab some grout sponges from lowes

Reactions: bellbound
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.