jennikz

Jul 16, 2021
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are going to build a deck over the slope that we had to dig out for our pool. How or what would you put underneath to keep mud from sliding down? Anyone else with this issue?

I tried to plant a ground cover but that doesn’t seem to be helping because it’s not growing much at all.

Attachments

• 5A913B01-6EAD-4A12-8FDD-DC88D16D3475.jpeg
    5A913B01-6EAD-4A12-8FDD-DC88D16D3475.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 16
if you rake grass seed into the area and use a starter fertilizer on the area.. water it 3 to 8 times a day just to keep the seed damp not wet.. use a coated seed, yes more expensive but helps the seed in staying damp...

Doing this I can grow grass in 10 days and be at 2 inch within a month...

once about 1/2 inch cut down to 3 or 4 times a day watering.. till 2 inch then do whatever the rest of the lawn gets.. :)

I hand spread the fertilizer as you never want it in the pool....

You can also get a straw hay bail and spread that over the whole area, that will help the area stay damp and keep the rain and water from moving the seed... You can also use your grass mowing and spread over the seed area...

You could find a ground cover that grows well in shade, since it will be in shade once the deck is built, or put in a small retaining wall, or pull out the grass, lay down landscape fabric and put down river rock.
I think I like the river rock idea!! I didn’t think of that. Do you think erosion would be an issue? I have tons of landscape fabric I could put down … I think that would help, but not sure how it would be over time.

and dump truck loads are way cheaper, It cost 300 dollars for 13 tons of rock delivered :)

I think 4 to 6 tons would cover that area in 2 inch thick rock

That rock/pebble you used for your base. I would just extend that to your grass line.
We discussed that rock but the slope is fairly steep (maybe a 45 degree angle give or take a few — you can’t tell from the pic) … but I am afraid the smaller stone will just wash away. I am looking for something that isn’t going to wash away if it rains. If that makes sense lol

Reactions: HermanTX

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We discussed that rock but the slope is fairly steep (maybe a 45 degree angle give or take a few — you can’t tell from the pic) … but I am afraid the smaller stone will just wash away. I am looking for something that isn’t going to wash away if it rains. If that makes sense lol
As others have stated, use river rock. But my experience is that any size rock are resistant to wash away unless you just have a deluge and stream running over it. Put down weed kill barrier, put rocks on top of it - about 2-3 inches depth. You should be good especially if you have a deck over it.

Reactions: jennikz
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.