What to upgrade from a single speed Jandy 2.5HP

tavacska

Jul 17, 2019
Houston, TX
Just becoming a new owner of the swimming pool. The Jandy JHPU 2.5HP single speed pump is 15 years old. It was run with a SWG for 8 hours a day. The bill could run up to $70 a month.
Is it worthy to upgrade to a two-speed or VS pump? Seems pentair is recommended. The pool size is 19k, what size/model should I look for?
Can I upgrade the motor only to a two-speed motor?

Any suggestions are welcome, thanks.

Definitely be wise to invest in a VS Pump, it really depends on what kind of features your pool has and what there needs are. The pump you have is a large pump for most residential pools. So maybe a little more information about your equipment, and pool. The great benefits of a VS pump is you can dial in the speed for your needs

Do the math before pulling the trigger on an expensive vs, most pools can be run 6 hrs to get proper chlorination. 6x1.5x30 is 29.7 kw per month. In my memory I’ve not seen many pumps go beyond 5-6 years without issues. The difference in price verse savings rarely adds money to a wallet.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

The electric bill climbs up too much recently. It's the wife's order to reduce it now.
It was my fault for the settings of the pump. The SWG was set as 60%. Now SWG is set as 100% and the run time is still under watch. But maybe 5 hr/day is the least in Houston.

The pool is 19k gallons plus a Spa.
Automation system is Ziodic system. Pump is Jandy 2.5 JHPU.
One 2.5 HP single speed pump for Pool/Spa/Cleaner
The other 2.5 HP single speed pump for waterfall.
One smaller one for Spa Bubbles.
Has a SWG system T15.
Filter is pentair DE. Fans Grids 60.
Has a puck feeder. (The previous owner use puck feed, not SWG, SWG still works good).

Now a local store has Pentair Intelliflo VSP for $899. Price is burning. I don't need much fancy staff. Only need the cost down. :)
(And I can install everything as DIYer).

Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.