What to do while I am away

Aventre23

Jun 23, 2019
Massachusetts
I have a vacation planned where I will be away for 5 days. Unfortunately don't have anyone that could check on the pool. Should I SLAM before I go and run pump as usual ( I have a timer).

I am a lil weary of running the pump as normal with no one to check on it

5 days is nothing. Raise it to SLAM level for your CYA, cover it, and check it when you come back. Or put a puck in a floater like @Chasarms said.

Most years we're gone for 16-18 days over the summer (July/August timeframe), which requires a touch more care. What we typically do is raise it to SLAM level two days before we go and hold it there, just to make sure there's no possibility of organics in the pool to start. Then we load our floater up with as many pucks as it will hold, open it just slightly, throw it in, and cover the pool. Pump runs 4 hours/day while we're gone, and typically when we come back, FC is around 4 and there's about a quarter pound of chlorine left in the floater. Because we've known in advance that we would be doing this, we typically start the season with CYA at 30, knowing that the pucks will bring it up to the target of 40 during our trip.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.