What to do when the pool arrives

Hello, I live in Louisiana. We're about to have our first above ground, salt water pool delivered. I've been doing some reading and it looks like I need to get the water tested for minerals first. Then when it has been filled, I will use my tf-100 kit that I ordered, to test the water and start adding cya and bleach to get it to the correct levels. While also stabilizing my pH level, if it is off. If you don't mind, I have a few questions and they are-

1. After the first time adding chemicals to the pool, how long do I wait to retest it and add more chemicals, if needed?

2. It looks like it is recommended that I should start off with bleach to get my fc and other levels correct. Is that correct? When should I start using the swg?

3. Should I just pour the bleach around the pool, or in front of one of the pool jets? Does it matter?

Well, I guess thats all I have for the moment. We're looking forward to a cool pool for this summer.

Fridge,
Welcome to TFP!
An expert should chime in soon, but most of your questions are in pool school too.

1- Most chemicals can be tested after 30 minutes or in an hour or two if concerned. Except CYA, wait 24 hours or so.
2- Yes bleach to get FC up asap. You can add some CL as filling pool. You could start adding salt about anytime, but maybe wait until nearly full. Put in half or 2/3 of what pool math recommends, wait 24 hours, test for salt level. Add more salt to sneak up on the level desired. Don't overshoot big time on it, you would need to drain to lower salt level. Same for CYA, take 3 or 4 shots at it. Don't start SWG until last salt addition has been in 24 hours or so.
3- Either or both work, it mixes rather quickly. Can test 30 minutes after adding CL.

So, if I turn the swg on as soon as the pool is full and the salt is dissolved, why do I need to start with liquid chlorine, if the swg will provide it?

The SWG produces a small amount of chlorine over a long period of time. It’s good at maintaining the FC Level, but not building it up. Even running the SWG 24 hours a day may take several days for the pool to have a sufficient FC level and during that time it’s possible that algae may start growing.

Reactions: Msch99
Your start up plan all makes sense. Post up your fill water tests for pH, TA, and CH. Are you filling from a well?

Pour the bleach in front of one of the operating returns. Walking around the sides invites splashing and doesn't dilute the chlorine as quickly.

Thanks, I'll remember to do that with the chlorine. Busy day today. I got the pool filled, but my test kit doesn't come in until Friday. So, I put half the recommended chlorine in it and I'll start putting half of the recommended cya, tomorrow morning, Should I put more chlorine in it tomorrow? If so, how much do you think? When I get my test kit Friday, I will know what I need to put in it. Am I spinning my wheels putting in chemicals without the test kit? I have test strips, but I don't know if I can rely on those at all. Thanks again

Hold off on CYA addition until you can test for it. If you add too much you will have to drain some pool water out and refill.
You should add the full amount of CL needed, no need to sneak up it.
Guessing you added about 30oz of 6% or so? Add the rest to reach target CYA / FC level and if salt is ready, fire up SWG if you haven't already.
How much stabilizer did you add?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Am I spinning my wheels putting in chemicals without the test kit?
Yes and No. Getting some chlorine in the pool quickly is absolutely important. I would add half the suggested dosage again.

If you are comfortable with your calculation, I would dose CYA up to 30 ppm and then test on Friday/Saturday to see how close your calculation was. Important not to overdose CYA......it's hard to get it back out of your pool.

Good news. I got a notification this morning that my test kit will be in today, instead of tomorrow. Which is awesome. No more guessing. I'll post my results when I get it and do a couple tests, to familiarize myself. One thing though, do I need goggles and gloves to handle cya?

Thanks duraleigh. I tested the water and my readings are
Fc-1
Cc-.5
Ph-8
Ta-160
Ch-25
I have the cya in the pool, but it's gonna be awhile.

Looks like my fc needs to come up, my pH is a little high, ta is pretty high and my ch is low. The only thing I'm confused about is the relationship between the ta and the pH. I'm going to pool school to check on that and if I need to get my ch up.

I'm going to add 2 ½ cups of 10% chlorine to the pool to bring the FC up. Pool math calls for 1lb 10oz of dry acid to the pool to lower the ta and pH. I'll add chlorine and dry acid as well as pool salt, wait 30 minutes, then I will retest and start aerating the water, If needed. Ill see what my fc is at that point. Should I wait until the cya is totally dissolved and the FC is above 3 before getting in?

Use the acid to lower ph, TA will drop some. Next time PH is up, repeat. Just don’t add enough acid to Lowe TA where you think it should be you will crash ph
You should be good to get in anytime.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.