What to do/expect?

May 20, 2018
West Point, Ms
First time posting... HI! Also first time problem in 2nd year.
6 days ago (last Saturday morning) we pulled the cover off to a green surprise. Like a can't see my hand 6" deep, almost thick mess of a surprise... Started "SLAMMING" Sunday morning. Monday afternoon I traded green for cloudy. Now, Thursday, still cloudy.

Test results as of this morning...
PH = 7.6
FC = 26
CC = 2.0
TA = 100 (possibly 110)
CH = 80
CYA = Too cloudy for accurate results, didn't bother
Temp = 84°F
Filter has only been off just long enough to switch it to Backwash and rinse, that's daily.

Now, we've been testing in mornings and afternoons and the only changes we typically notice is FC and it usually drops to around 10, but it has dropped to as low as 5.

Assuming my CC is the cause of my cloudiness, how do I get it down?

You have to know your CYA in order to know what your FC target is for the SLAM.

Well, you need to do the CYA test. Even if it is cloudy and not optimum, it will at least give you some idea of what your CYA is. You can pour the liquid from the cylinder back into the bottle as many times as needed, so try testing outside, inside in a well lit room, etc. and let’s see what you come up with.

The cloudiness from your pool probably has no affect on the CYA test but here's how to handle it.

Fill the view tube with pool water only until you can no longer see the dot. if the dot disappears at 50, then simply subtract 50 ppm from your CYA test when you do it with R-0013 reagent.

My bet is you will fill the tube all the way to the top (with pool water only) and still plainly see the dot.......meaning no compensation for your cloudy water is necessary. Let us know.

Well, you need to do the CYA test. Even if it is cloudy and not optimum, it will at least give you some idea of what your CYA is. You can pour the liquid from the cylinder back into the bottle as many times as needed, so try testing outside, inside in a well lit room, etc. and let’s see what you come up with.

Pool water alone, black for disappears at 80ppm. Either the CYA is ridiculously high or 0. Either way, it would still be a guess, which is useless. The entire summer last year the CYA stayed at 60 ppm and that's what it was at when closed. Didn't drain any water when closed. Did have to add about 1.5 inches of water when I uncovered it. CYA isn't my problem.
I have adjusted my FC to 10 times the CC reading and maintaining that the best I can through the work week.

It would be impossible for your CYA to go from 60 when you closed, to higher than 60 now, unless you have added some since then.

I hear you, but CYA is a problem. If you have none, you are going to mess up your liner big time by just dumping in tons of chlorine. I know this because I did it to my own!

And if you did add CYA, without knowing how high it is, you have no idea if the chlorine you are adding is enough.

Your chlorine is holding, right? Not dropping down super low right after you add it? So no ammonia.

- - - Updated - - -

Take a peek at this:

Chlorine/CYA Chart

Also, have you added anything other than liquid chlorine, either at closing or since you opened?

It would be impossible for your CYA to go from 60 when you closed, to higher than 60 now, unless you have added some since then.

My point exactly, considering i didn't drain my pool ANY at closing and barely added water to it when opening, I'm assuming my CYA should be fairly close to where it was before.

I agree CYA can be a problem, but currently not mine, yet anyways. I never add ANYTHING without testing first.

I did add a little Doheny's super algecide and a gallon of 10% chlorinating liquid right before closing, obviously not enough...

I've already been all over that chart last year. It's my first time posting, NOT my first time here. I spent A LOT of time here last year when I first started with my pool. My chlorine burns off as expected (full sun.) I'm confident there's at least some CYA there and when I'm able to get any accurate reading I will test and adjust then, but I'm not doing anything to adjust CYA up or (less likely) down when I know I'm not getting an accurate reading.
My CC is gradually decreasing and I'll adjust my FC gradually down as needed. When my CC reaches 0, I'll let the FC come down to a normal range. I know I have a few different possibilities for my cloudiness, but low or even no CYA isn't one of them, high maybe. I haven't had to deal with high CYA and haven't any ideas of the effects of it being high.
Hopefully I'm just getting false readings because of my high FC.

Sorry you messed up your liner. I've added up to 6 gallons of 8.25% bleach at a time last year, my liner looked as it did when it was new last year at closing. However, I have yet to see the bottom since its been uncovered this year...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I know you probably learned this during your process last year, but since PH testing isn’t valid at high levels of FC, you can save yourself some reagents by skipping that one until your FC drops to 10.

Also, with a vinyl pool the CH isn’t that important.

Let us know what tomorrow brings! ;)

I know you probably learned this during your process last year, but since PH testing isn’t valid at high levels of FC, you can save yourself some reagents by skipping that one until your FC drops to 10.

Also, with a vinyl pool the CH isn’t that important.

Let us know what tomorrow brings! ;)

Yes, I know, I just do the test anyway. I'm actually hoping my PH is WAY off and somehow the source of my cloudiness along with every other false reading I'm getting. I'm off work tomorrow and going to take a sample to pool store in the morning to see what numbers they come up with.

It seems as if my PH is falling with my FC. Even with the little rain we got earlier this afternoon, I don't feel like it should have fell as much as it did.

Update...
PH = 7.2
FC = 13 was my last drop. Going to pick up more this morning
TA = 100
Temp = 80°F
Got in it last night to feel around. Everything feels squeaky clean. I haven't brushed it any through my whole process. Pump has been off since about 10pm last night so everything can settle down for an attempt of a blind vacuum later today.

Update...
PH = 7.2
FC = 13 was my last drop. Going to pick up more this morning
TA = 100
Temp = 80°F
Got in it last night to feel around. Everything feels squeaky clean. I haven't brushed it any through my whole process. Pump has been off since about 10pm last night so everything can settle down for an attempt of a blind vacuum later today.

So I have no problem going off script ;) lol

Assuming your PH is 6.8 (since high FC interferes with phenol red (the PH dye)), can you aerate your pool OR even add baking soda with PH level Now/_6.8_ Goal/_7.2_ you don't want to overshoot, but if your PH is low, that is going to cause more damage to the vinyl liner then liquid chlorine added while pump is running :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also have you peaked in your sand filter, make sure it's "loose" and not packed in?

So I have no problem going off script ;) lol

Assuming your PH is 6.8 (since high FC interferes with phenol red (the PH dye)), can you aerate your pool OR even add baking soda with PH level Now/_6.8_ Goal/_7.2_ you don't want to overshoot, but if your PH is low, that is going to cause more damage to the vinyl liner then liquid chlorine added while pump is running :)

- - - Updated - - -

Also have you peaked in your sand filter, make sure it's "loose" and not packed in?

Already aerating, haha. Plus topping off after vacuuming.
Don't want to take the chance adding baking soda considering my TA is already exactly where I want it. I know it doesn't typically raise TA much, but I do have a couple bags on hand just in case. Unless you think that reading might be false as well? I haven't noticed a difference in the past...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.