What to do after refill

Kkb123

Jun 8, 2020
Texas
Hi - new here! My pool is almost 5 years old. We just drained, chlorine washed and refilled our pool because the CYA was astronomical. I didn’t know till I found this site last week that CYA even existed, we just kept spending tons of money on shock which was only making it worse! Anyway, we have just started the filter back up. Here are my test results using a regular pool test kit (a better one is on order). Can you please advise what I need to do in the next couple of days to get everything in order? I plan to still run my auto chlorinator, because I have 4 kids and will no doubt forget to test/add chlorine daily, but I will shock with liquid chlorine from now on. Thank you!

FC: 0
PH: 7.3
ALK: 300 🙈
CYA: somewhere between 0-30

Welcome to TFP! :wave: For a fresh fill, do the following:
- Increase the FC to about 2-3 ppm for day one. After that, always keep the FC and CYA balanced as noted on the FC/CYA Levels.
- Get stabilizer going again. New water has no CYA. Use the sock method. (see below) This time of year, start with a CYA goal of 40, perhaps even 50.
- Keep the pH in the mid to upper 7s.
- Once your test kit arrives, post a full set of numbers and we'll be glad to review them for you.

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

Ok, thank you! Two other questions..... should I be concerned that the alkalinity is so high (300)? And I have lots of the 1 lb bags of di chlor left, Can I use those just to get started that way it would help with the chlorine and the stabilizer since I don’t have any stabilizer on hand?

The TA is high for sure, but can be worked slowly over the days or weeks. It's not an immediate rush. But to aggressively lower the TA, you use enough muriatic acid to lower the pH to about 7.0 or 7.2, then aerate the water as much as you can to raise the pH. That process will lower the TA and increase the pH (only) leaving the TA where it was. Once the pH hits 7.8-8.0, hit it with acid again and repeat this process. Something to do as time permits. Not really urgent.

For the dichlor, if you use them, then you have to use the PoolMath APP to be sure how much each bag may raise the CYA. It just becomes a little more tricky to manage the CYA. But it's your call. I know you just drained because of a high CYA, so thinking about CYA may not be a happy thing right now.

Reactions: Kkb123
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.