What to do about leaves?

robl45

Oct 27, 2007
Parkland, FL
Looking for suggestions on what to do about the leaves that get in my pool. The skimmer is clogged after a week or less. There are just so many leaves that fall in this thing. The robot gets them on the ground, but the pump ends up sucking air after the skimmer gets clogged. I know there are some add on skimmers or something, wondering what is inexpensive that people recommend that work well?

Looking for suggestions on what to do about the leaves that get in my pool. The skimmer is clogged after a week or less. There are just so many leaves that fall in this thing. The robot gets them on the ground, but the pump ends up sucking air after the skimmer gets clogged. I know there are some add on skimmers or something, wondering what is inexpensive that people recommend that work well?

Sorry to be blunt, but if you have that much leaf fall regularly, you need to be running skimmers much more often. Either that, do more manual skimming, or eliminate the source.

I think you guys are missing the point. The skimmer clogs with leaves too quickly. I work during the week and really can't do anything with the pool. By the time the weekend comes, its totally clogged with leaves. Unfortunately, there is no way to eliminate the source short of putting up a screen enclosure.

Do you have a bottom drain. We leave ours set for 80% skimmer and 20% drain so the pump always has waterflow. We also run the pump at 1100 rpm so the flow is pretty low but still enough to move leaves into the skimmer.

I think you guys are missing the point. The skimmer clogs with leaves too quickly. I work during the week and really can't do anything with the pool. By the time the weekend comes, its totally clogged with leaves. Unfortunately, there is no way to eliminate the source short of putting up a screen enclosure.

No, I don't think I did. You said a week or less, which means you sometimes go a week before running skimmers or close to it. That is too long to wait if you have much leaf fall. It doesn't take that long a couple/few times a week. What do you think most people here do all week if not work? We certainly aren't rich, and leaving our pool care to someone else. That is what rich people do.

Maybe hire a pool guy to come by mid week and run some maintenance for you? I don't know what kind of device there is, or especially one for $100 that will help you, but it doesn't seem like a problem worth risking your pump over. Maybe it sounds harsh, and I don't mean too, but I am trying to help and prevent you from having a bigger expense like a new pool pump.

What about a Spouse, Partner, SO, or Roommate that could help?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
When I was a kid we had a Shammel Ash almost due north of our pool. The wind in SoCal blows those Santa Anas out of the north in the the fall and spring. That thing would coat both the water surface and bottom of the pool with leaves. I spent many an afternoon after school scooping those up. The problem was we had no control over removal of that tree. Fortunately now, I control all the property and trees close enough to be in issue with the pool so if they're causing issues, they go.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You have two options:

1-Eliminate the source - you said you could not, so proceed to option 2
2-Find a way to prevent leaf entry or quickest means of leaf removal once entered.
-leaf prevention = A pool cover or very tall screen
-leaf removal: there have been good many options here, but the more frequently you perform, the better it is. I work too and sometimes run the robot at midnight. No matter when you go home, feed the kids/etc., the last thing you can do is go empty the skimmers...make it a ritual per night, or every other night. Or, find a family that has a responsible young adult to do so 3 times a week [MWF] and you do T-Thur and weekends.

As Patrick stated, either you own the pool or it will own you. If your pumps craters, you're looking at WAY MORE than skimmer accessories. Get a plan. It will also eliminate all the negative energy you are spending on dealing w this issue.

Good luck and join the forum - you'll get your money back in the first week or two from many knowledgeable people that are here to help you - Happy Easter !!!

When I moved into my house, I noticed a small white birch tree growing near my pool. Being from New England, I thought it was cool to have one in the yard. Fast forward 10 years and now the tree is fully grown and I learn about it's shallow, spread root system that was growing underneath my pool coping and pushing the tiles off. The tree is gone and last year I had new coping and tile installed

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.