What temporary fix caulk/epoxy/filler recommend for crack?

Floaty027

Bronze Supporter
Jul 6, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hey everybody! Before anything, thanks in advance.

I am in need a of re plaster. I know photos aren’t good, but just to give you idea.

One major problem is a crack in between my spa and pool. Water can leak each way (into the pool or into the spa) and it drains within the dividing wall as I can’t keep water level about 3” above tile line. Also, when it rains and fills to the top it drains within two days to that level.

I have gotten pool boys and builders to look at pool and advise on crack. Due to financials because I just put in new equipment and solar this year, I am trying to push the replaster long as possible, or at least till next year. One pool builder advised me to just caulk with clear silicone in that crack because it can rust out the rebar, no big deal using silicone as I will replaster.

What do you recommend for a temporary fix? I don’t care much for looks and this crack will probably continue to grow so I suppose I am looking for flexibility as well.

I have seen some talk on this, but hard to find something for temporary fix and mainly patching lights or skimmers. Dave has mentioned polyurethane caulk… also stopped by local Leslies today and they said plaster repair on the plaster and A+B epoxy stuff (link below) on the tile line. I asked whether I can use this on the plaster too and he said sure but will be more visible.

https://www.amazon.com/Epoxy-9904K-White-Rezolin-Container/dp/B083WNMSHN

What would be the best bet in this situation? Caulk? Epoxy? Silicone? Polyurethane? Can I do it dry? I want to replace some water while I am at it.

Thank you!

Jake

Attachments

• IMG_8556.jpg
    IMG_8556.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_8555.jpg
    IMG_8555.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 31
Hi gx,
Thanks for the tip, I was looking at that too and think I may go with it over AB compound seeing as Atlas is more pool oriented.
I was hope someone would chime in about using silicone or something similar.
My concern is that this crack with probably spread and once epoxy is set from what I understand it won't be flexible.
Does anyone know if there is something more flexible than epoxy?

So if anybody cares to know I went forward with my attempt at the crack band-aid. I wasn't going for looks as this is just to prolong the solution. I purchased Atlas pool epoxy, but then a pool boy recommended this and I liked the idea that it was elastic.
Chemlink M-1 (White) Structural Adhesive Sealant

I was on the fence about it but on Friday I decided to do it and drained about a foot and repaired. Seems to work well, not the easiest to work with, but I recommend if you need an emergency or don't care for looks repair. This is not a long term solution.

Also what I thought was water loss due to evaporation because of newly installed solar heating and keeping the pool temp high was in most likely my crack. As I have not lost any water pass two nights. Whoops. Shoulda did this sooner.

Also paid close attention to testing the water before and after fill to get an idea of what water replacement does. Unfortunately my high CH 725 didn't change much due to not replacing that much water (12") and the fact that the fill water here already has high CH 225 I believe.
Hope this info helps someone else. I'm going swimming.
Thanks,
Jake

Attachments

• IMG_8640.jpg
    IMG_8640.jpg
    693.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_8639.jpg
    IMG_8639.jpg
    573.9 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.