What Should I Pay For When I Open My Pool Up

Mendy48

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2018
Midland, MI
I'm going to schedule an opening of my pool once I get an answer to one of my prior questions, but I was wondering if I should only pay for them to open my pool up. I think I'll like to take care of the chemicals and the cleaning of my pool myself. The reason I'm not opening my pool myself is because the pool place has to be the ones to maintain the equipments for our pool for it to stay under warranty. However, I don't want to pay for any additional cost like "chemicals, cleaning", things like that. What's your opinion on this. I think I can do the chemicals and cleaning myself, but this will be my first time opening my pool and dealing with the chemicals and cleaning myself. I don't think it would be hard, but I wanted to get everyones opinion on it.

Thanks.

I have no idea what you *should* pay but my pool place is charging me $150 to open ours and it is a flat rate. I will ask them not to add any chemicals because that’s easy to handle myself. If they want to clean the pool, I’ll definitely let them but I don’t think they do.

The pool place want to charge my $227 for everything. I'm just not going to pay that. I want to take out chemicals and cleaning of my pool. They can do everything else. I'm going to call them and get a detailed account of what they do to open my pool. That way, I can start checking things off. I'm just worried that I may not be able to clean my pool properly but I'm sure I can do it. Nerves that's all it is.

The pool place want to charge my $227 for everything. I'm just not going to pay that. I want to take out chemicals and cleaning of my pool. They can do everything else. I'm going to call them and get a detailed account of what they do to open my pool. That way, I can start checking things off. I'm just worried that I may not be able to clean my pool properly but I'm sure I can do it. Nerves that's all it is.

That’s your best bet. Actually, I think I’ll ask my pool company what our opening includes to so I can tell them which pieces I don’t want! That’s a great idea.

I learned to open my own pool by watching YouTube videos. It is quite easy and saves me about $200 every spring. I do pay for the pool builder to close it. Watch a few videos before you book and see if it’s something you can do on your own.

Reactions: Sunnymosmile
I think the first thing I'd find out is what does the warranty specify that they have to do to stay compliant. It's possible the opening dose of chemicals may be included in that. If not, I agree it's not worth paying for. If it is, well...your call.

I'm a tad confused as to what you're worried about being under warranty? The equipment is warranted by the manufacturer, not the pool builder. He/she is just the labor and is paid by the manufacturer for any warranted work.

You can easily manage the chemical care. Its just like following a recipe with the help of PoolMath and TFP. We'll teach you all you need to do, I promise.

Maddie :flower:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm a tad confused as to what you're worried about being under warranty? The equipment is warranted by the manufacturer, not the pool builder. He/she is just the labor and is paid by the manufacturer for any warranted work.
:flower:[4/QUOTE]
Not sure if you were replying to me or the OP. The OP stated that the reason they're having the pool company open the pool was to maintain the equipment warranties. As you do, I find that concept a little suspect, but that's what was stated.
So the question I guess should go back to Mendy....what warranty is dependent on the pool place having to open your pool?

I pay to have my pool opened. They remove the cover, get all the equipment up and running, put in the ladders and add four gallons of liquid chlorine to jump start the slam. I could do it myself, but I like having them do it because if something goes wrong, like two years ago when they accidentally broke my inline chlorine feeder, they fix or replace it for free. If I had broke it, I'd have to buy a new one myself. Instead I got a brand new one for free. Plus I enjoy not doing the manual labor because I am lazy lol.

I don't see anything the pool store can do at opening that I can't. Took me under an hour to take off and fold my loop lock cover by myself last year. The rest is just removing plugs, putting in plugs, adding water and turning things on.

My pool company charges $195 for opening and this includes cleaning my automatic cover. I gladly pay this fee for convenience. I take care of my chemicals.

Reactions: BMK
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.