What should I expect when I pull off the cover ?

Feb 28, 2017
Danbury,CT
My pool was filled with water at the end of November. It was filled below the skimmer. The guys poured a gallon of liquid chlorine in it. A couple of days later a different crew came to cover the pool. They also poured a gallon in. Should I expect the pool water to be clear or green when we take off the cover ? What is typical ? Also does anyone know when the pool startup is in CT ? BTW possible 12" of snow Tuesday.

Well, if they closed it while the water temp was under 60 degrees, and if you open it before it hits 60 degrees, you have more chance of opening to minimum problems.
Algae is very slow growing in cold water.

Pull the cover off and run a full set of tests (do you have one of the recommended test kits??) and if you have green, we can walk you thru a SLAM.

I'm hoping all will be clear and clean :)

Yip :flower:

Do you have a mesh cover or solid cover? A solid cover will increase the likelihood you'll open to a clear pool.

my TF100 test kit is ordered and on its way. There is a solid cover and it was covered below 60 degrees. Its been frozen most of the winter. I have no idea when they plan on start up. We never ran the filter because the pool was finished at the end of November.

Great news on the test kit. Did you get the speed stir too? It sure makes testing easier (let the device swirl the sample as you add drops of reagent instead of your other hand trying to swirl and mix. Some folks are more coordinated than me..... I love the speed stir, LOL)

Sounds like you're not going to have any problems to me. Let us know how it goes :)

Yip :flower:

Should I assume that the cya will be 0ppm ? nothing was added except a couple of gallons of liquid chlorine. amazon has Clorox Pool & Spa 10004CLX Chlorine Stabilizer, 4 - Pound for $12.77
So you think that I should order it while it is on sale ?

Still a bit early in our neck of the woods, but I believe I picked up 4lbs of HTH brand stabilizer for about $13 at Walmart last year.

Also, Ocean State Job Lot is a great source of 12.5% liquid chlorine. It's been $2.99 a gallon for the past two seasons, with $10 cases of 4 jugs occasionally. Always fresh at my store.

Stay away from their stabilizer though, I tried it my first season and it takes forever to dissolve, and I would always find stones/course sand in the sock after the CYA was dissolved.

NOW you tell me about the stabilizer at Job Lot. I bought two containers of it in the fall when it was 50% off or something like that. Still for only 4bucks for 4 pounds I can handle it being slow to dissolve. I've been getting itchy to open my pool, in southeastern CT, but the weather this past week and a blizzard tomorrow sure changed my mind about that. I don't think I will be pulling my cover till the last week of april or early may.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.