What reel to purchase

colon001

Sep 18, 2016
Tampa, FL
Hello community,
I plan on buying a reel for a solar cover and I see I can spend anywhere from $150 to $1,000. Any particular suggestion? My main concern (maybe unjustified) is that the reel will tip over when reeling in the blanket if I factor the cover weight and the drag on the water surface. Any other factors you suggest to consider?

Thanks!

Rancho Cost-a-Lotta

Silver Supporter
Apr 10, 2018
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
My last pool was about 18K gallons and about 16' wide. When I had a reel, I used it over the deep end of the pool. When reeling up the cover, it's pulling from both directions and your holding on to one side, so it does a good job of staying in place. Most of the weight is being pulled straight up. You need to go slow and give the cover a tug now and then to keep it aligned. The reel had locking wheels which did a good job of keeping it from moving. It is important that the elevations on each side of the pool are equal so the reel is level over the surface of the pool.

I didn't spend a lot of money on my reel. It was lightweight which allowed me to carry the reel with the rolled cover to the side of the house for storage. After 5 years, the clips that hold the cover began to fail and the plastic side supports were showing their age and beginning to crack. If I had the opportunity to do it again, I would probably get metal side supports with big wheels so I could wheel it over the grass.

My current pool's set up doesn't allow me to use a reel. I cut my cover lengthwise into two sections, basically down the middle of the cover at a seam. I'm able to pull the cover to the deck, fold at at the seams, and fold/roll it up on the ground. I can do it myself in about 10 minutes.

Reactions: colon001

colon001

Sep 18, 2016
Tampa, FL
My last pool was about 18K gallons and about 16' wide. When I had a reel, I used it over the deep end of the pool. When reeling up the cover, it's pulling from both directions and your holding on to one side, so it does a good job of staying in place. Most of the weight is being pulled straight up. You need to go slow and give the cover a tug now and then to keep it aligned. The reel had locking wheels which did a good job of keeping it from moving. It is important that the elevations on each side of the pool are equal so the reel is level over the surface of the pool.

I didn't spend a lot of money on my reel. It was lightweight which allowed me to carry the reel with the rolled cover to the side of the house for storage. After 5 years, the clips that hold the cover began to fail and the plastic side supports were showing their age and beginning to crack. If I had the opportunity to do it again, I would probably get metal side supports with big wheels so I could wheel it over the grass.

My current pool's set up doesn't allow me to use a reel. I cut my cover lengthwise into two sections, basically down the middle of the cover at a seam. I'm able to pull the cover to the deck, fold at at the seams, and fold/roll it up on the ground. I can do it myself in about 10 minutes.
Thanks a lot!