What port is this on my pool wall?

JD880

Jun 20, 2014
Wayne, NJ
Asking to see if anyone knows what type of port this is - excuse the dirty pics of the pool wall, bought a house with an inground pool and still figuring out the equipment part. My pool has (3) return jets around the walls of the pool that appear to function normally pushing out a flow of water. In this photo, is a 4th "port" on the sidewall that only trickles out a low flow of water but I am entirely not sure what it is used for. It doesn't look I can fit an eyeball fitting in it like the other jets, so I'm just trying to figure out what it does. Anyone familiar? Thank you!

Attachments

• 20200514_194209.jpg
    20200514_194209.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 36
Looks like a port for a pressure pool cleaner like polaris 280. It draws water from the discharge line to the pool so water flows a little when circ pump is running. Should be a small pump to run it at the equipment pad.
Thank you, I thought it may be something like that, in my filter room there is a small booster pump that isn't connected and it has a polaris label on the side of it, seems to be from the 1980's, I'm guessing the old owner had some type of vacuum. Would it be ok to just leave this port open or should it be capped? It just trickles out flow, would be nice if it could function as a jet to move water. Thanks!

Thank you, I thought it may be something like that, in my filter room there is a small booster pump that isn't connected and it has a polaris label on the side of it, seems to be from the 1980's, I'm guessing the old owner had some type of vacuum. Would it be ok to just leave this port open or should it be capped? It just trickles out flow, would be nice if it could function as a jet to move water. Thanks!
You want that trickle otherwise the trapped water will get stagnant.
You can probably cut the booster out and plumb that as an extra return.

Reactions: JD880 and Shirker
for the cost of replacing the pump ($350) and motor ($330) and then hiring an electrician to rewire it all your better off buying a robot cleaner. If its not leaking it won’t hurt to just leave it in place but once it starts, as said above, just cut it out of the system.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.