What pool salt should I buy?

barber

Aug 10, 2016
Broken Arrow, Ok
Does it matter where I buy my pool salt? The salt at Sam's is more than half the price as that sold in the pool supply stores. The pool supply store said that their salt is 99.9% pure and Sam's is only 99% pure. Help! THank you

madwil

May 2, 2011
lebanon tn
99% is fine as long as no iron reducer or such added. I use water softener salt from Home Depot. What ever is cheapest pure salt you can find. Doesn't have to be pool salt, just pure salt

Divin Dave

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Oct 2, 2013
Longview, Texas

Akathisia

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 6, 2015
Davis, CA
I second the Diamond Crystal water softener salt which I learned about on TFP after previously only using "pool salt". Cheaper and worked fine.

Patrick_B

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 7, 2011
Midland TX
Solar softener crystals are great too. Buy the cheapest high purity salt with no additives for cleaning softeners, and you'll be fine. Pool Salt is often sold at the crazy price. :crazy:

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
Update- at checkout, it rang up $1.00/bag! I got 160 lbs of salt for $4.00 + tax!

I'm going to go back and get several more.

peirek

Silver Supporter
Jun 21, 2017
Sachse, TX
Update- at checkout, it rang up $1.00/bag! I got 160 lbs of salt for $4.00 + tax!

Living right! :deal:

What brand is it? I think there have been some negative impacts documented here from the use of Clorox brand salt.

ctrav

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 23, 2017
Northlake TX
Just out of curiosity why would you need so much salt on hand? I was told that I would only need about 2 bags a year...was I misinformed? If so I'm headed to Wally World! Thanks

Nursenini

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Sep 22, 2015
Bixby, Ok
Just out of curiosity why would you need so much salt on hand? I was told that I would only need about 2 bags a year...was I misinformed? If so I'm headed to Wally World! Thanks
We have had so much rain that I have let a bunch of water out of the pool multiple times this year. I have used 4 or 5 bags this year and we haven't hit fall yet. I have room to store it and keep it dry, so I'd rather have several extra at $1 each than have to go out and get it further down the road at $4-5 each.

Other Threads of Interest