What pool light do I buy?

frankytii

Jun 8, 2019
Boston, MA
I’m a new pool owner as of last year. I need to replace my underwater pool light. Is there a way to tell what replacement pool light and gasket I need to buy without disconnecting the light and taking it out of the water?

Best way is to remove the single screw holding it in place, pull out the entire fixture so you can place it on the deck of the pool. This way you can look on the outside of the fixture for a label of some kind. You might want to check it with a regular bulb first to make sure the fixture still works.

Mine was so rotten inside due to the gasket falling apart and leaking that I had to order an entire new fixture and run the power cord through the conduit back to the junction box. It can be a difficult job to remove the old electrical wire if the light is really old.

Best way is to remove the single screw holding it in place, pull out the entire fixture so you can place it on the deck of the pool. This way you can look on the outside of the fixture for a label of some kind. You might want to check it with a regular bulb first to make sure the fixture still works.

Mine was so rotten inside due to the gasket falling apart and leaking that I had to order an entire new fixture and run the power cord through the conduit back to the junction box. It can be a difficult job to remove the old electrical wire if the light is really old.
The light fixture looks fairly new. The light was working up until this week when it became dull for 2 days and then suddenly went out yesterday. But I will test it out with another bulb to be sure. Do the gaskets come with a new light? Will I need a new gasket on hand to put the old light back after I check it?

Gaskets are sold separately, unless you buy the whole light fixture with cord. Since your light was working recently, there's a good chance it's just the bulb that went bad. Whenever you open the fixture to replace the light, you should always put in a new gasket. However, if you're just putting the old dead bulb back in until your new one arrives, it's probably ok to put the old gasket back on. Just don't turn on the light to be safe. Definitely order a new gasket though with your new light.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.