What ones do i need HELP

Jun 28, 2015
Michigan
With everyone talking about opening there pools, I have been thinking about ditching my swg and going with plain chlorine. So my question is what pool chemicals do i need, I am very new at this and would like to get it right the first and not be running around trying to find pool chemicals. I have a 18 foot ultra frame intex with a 3000 gal sandfilter the K-2006 test kit and a new bathing suit (last one fell apart because i dont know what im doing hahaha)

Thanks Andy

How often were you testing the water?

You say it would go low..... was that perhaps after a mess of kids were in the pool say...and may have added a bit of organic matter to the mix?

What were your CYA levels last year?

Yippee :flower:

How often were you testing the water?

You say it would go low..... was that perhaps after a mess of kids were in the pool say...and may have added a bit of organic matter to the mix?

What were your CYA levels last year?

Yippee :flower:
well the water was being tested daily when it was being used alot but weekly other wise as for kids yes alot of kids. my test kit i was useing was a cheap one from Wallmart and only tested PH and Chlorine so now i have a K-2006 and i did not use CYA but im guessing i should be buying some. I was thinking all i need was the SWG. If I need to buy CYA what others are recommended,

If you want to ditch it, go for it. Keeping your pool with manual additons of Chlorine will be a piece of cake. Keep a few jugs of Bleach on hand, along with a little Muriatic Acid and you'll be fine. You may need some Cyanuric Acid/Stabilizer to start, but it isn't needed often unless you lose or swap a good deal of water. You have a good kit, and you'll learn what your pool needs pretty shortly once you start regular testing.

well the water was being tested daily when it was being used alot but weekly other wise as for kids yes alot of kids. my test kit i was useing was a cheap one from Wallmart and only tested PH and Chlorine so now i have a K-2006 and i did not use CYA but im guessing i should be buying some. I was thinking all i need was the SWG. If I need to buy CYA what others are recommended,

Are you saying that you have CYA = 0 in your pool? You should have CYA of 70 ppm with a SWG. If so, this is one reason for having large swings in FC levels with nothing to buffer the FC.

You should be testing for FC, CC, pH, TA, CH, and CYA and salt after major water additions. See the pool school section on Basic Schedule for tests and frequency. While you are there, browse through ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and some of the other articles in Pool School.

We can't really say what other chemicals you need since we don't have any test results

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
SWG is the way to go in my opinion. Nicest thing for me is it maintains FC when I'm gone. Also you don't need FC levels as high and to many people the water "feels" nicer. It comes down to personal preference, but there's no reason you shouldn't be able to use an SWG and manage your levels with little effort once you get your CYA sorted out and have a little practice.

With everyone talking about opening there pools, I have been thinking about ditching my swg and going with plain chlorine. So my question is what pool chemicals do i need, I am very new at this and would like to get it right the first and not be running around trying to find pool chemicals. I have a 18 foot ultra frame intex with a 3000 gal sandfilter the K-2006 test kit and a new bathing suit (last one fell apart because i dont know what im doing hahaha)

Thanks Andy
There is no difference in chemicals used between a pool that gets it's chlorine from a SWG, or from manual dosing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.