What next??? So frustrated with these bubbles!

Okay; just went back out and looked and bubbles are back out of three of the return jets. I suppose that means either both the skimmer and main drain valves need to be replaced or that the leak is somewhere between the valves and the pump.

My pool fine for the first couple years, then one day noticed a large amount of excess bubbles coming out of my returns, but not many in pump basket, and was dependent on skews of my VSP. I’d bleed air out of my filter daily and drove me crazy. I lubed my filter lid gasket, played with my skimmers, and nothing helped. I even went as far as replacing my o ring on the pump. Turned out it was just the ozone which I never paid any attention to anyway.

Also, and I don’t know if this has anything to do with the bubbles, but the pressure on my filter cartridges hovers just below 10 when my pump is running at 1500rpms. Does that seem too low? When I open the top, water starts coming out almost immediately. Maybe a split second after a little air.

Pepper,

At 2000 my filter pressure is about 7 lbs.. So your 10 sounds a little high to me.. But I don't have a heater or spa and that makes a lot of difference.. I would not worry about the 10 lbs.

I agree that is is unlikely that the main drain and the skimmer lines both have some kind of suction issue. The leaves the Intake valve and the plumbing between the Intake valve and the pump, which seems about 3" long...

What happens when you are in the spa mode?

I went back and read some of your first posts.. You say this is a new pump? I don't see any new plumbing?

Thanks,

Jim R.

I will test out in spa mode and see what it does. Yes, new pump was installed about three weeks ago. Here is a photo, you can see what he did. The only new pipe I believe he ran is the white one.
Also, how do we know it’s suction side and not pressure side. Just curious.

Pepper,

Generally, when you have a leak on the pressure side it is obvious as water should be squirting out or at least dripping... You can have an air leak on the pressure side when the pump is off, but that lets air in only when the pump is off..

Ask yourself this.. How was it possible for him to connect the pump to the suction side??? Did he just twist the whole pump round and round to screw on the threaded input fitting?? :scratch:

Maybe the threaded adapter is new. ???

Have you ever done the garden hose trick, where you run water over a suspected fitting and see if the bubbles go away??? I'd try that on the input fitting to your pump.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pepper,

Any technician that would install a $1,200 pump without pump unions should be ashamed... Just saying!!!

Than connection should have pipe dope, or Teflon tape, not silicone.. Sigh!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

And again, I just want to ask...if the pump basket is full of water, is there any reason to continue to make myself crazy about this?? What’s the worst that can happen?

Pepper,

This is just an annoyance.. not the end of the world.. As long as the pump basket is full, a few bubbles is not a major issue.

For all I know that is how they install all their pumps, so what are you expecting them to do? After your trip, my suggest would be see if you can find the leak.. At least then you will know if it is their fault or not.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sounds good. I think my first step will be to change the guts on the skimmer valve. If that doesn’t fix it, then I’ll move along to the connections. I don’t have to hose that reaches to the equipment, but I’ve read something about using shaving cream? Thank you again for all of your help!

I have a big problem with this install. A $1200 pump was installed, on purpose, with pvc going into CPVC fitting (grey piece). Not only that, but it is rare to find CPVC and PVC that have the same dimensions, so they don't really fit together correctly.
Then there is the silicone sealant everywhere. Every joint I see has silicone in the joint. Obviously it leaked when installed, or even worse they just used the silicone to "glue" everything together instead of using actual glue. @Jimrahbe that's probably how it got put together without unions.
If this was my pump install, I would not be happy at all. This is a shotty install done by someone who doesn't care and has no idea what they are doing. I'd demand that it be reinstalled by someone who knows what they are doing. Have you paid in full yet?

To answer your question, some air in the basked is not an issue. If your pump can prime itself and the basket stays mostly full, then there isn't a cause of concern for actual operation.

If the install looks shotty to you guys, then I’m tempted to have them come out and redo it. The install was $220 and the guy was out there no longer than 30 minutes. Other than saying to them “it doesn’t look right” or “there is a suction side leak”, is there something glaring that is incorrect I can use when taking to them?

Other than saying to them “it doesn’t look right” or “there is a suction side leak”, is there something glaring that is incorrect I can use when taking to them?
Yes:
* pvc going into CPVC fitting (grey piece). There is no reason to have CPVC in there
* Then there is the silicone sealant everywhere. Every joint I see has silicone in the joint. Teflon tape should be used on threaded joints and PVC clue on the slip joints.
* Looks like they used the silicone to "glue" everything together instead of using actual pvc glue.
* and from a pure installation point of view, how did they actually do the install without removing any piping and without unions? Again, it comes back to the silicone as the product used instead of the proper glue. On the inlet, it should work since it's under suction, but the discharge side is pressurized and I don't feel it is going to last. One day you'll look out to a fountain out the top of the pump.

That's just what it looks like from here.

I was on a rant above in my post, but without seeing more of the pump pad, it's hard to describe what a good install would look like since the inlet looks like a valve (black piece) and then 2 90-degree bends. It does look like there is space on the discharge side for a union though.

I really appreciate you taking the time to write that. I paid good money for the pump and install and I want it to be done correctly. The biggest problem is that I didn’t know what “correct” meant.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.