What know, SWG question I cant figure

Aug 4, 2017
san diego
Hi all, reading for years and always found an answer. This time I am stuck. Pool in OK balance. Ph 7.3, CYA 50, CH 400, TA 100, salt on old cell 2800, new cell 3400, test strip 3300.... Started to get algae and low and behold no chlorine. Looked at SWG and check cell LED on but said still generating. Reset system. This old cell 24.4v and 5.8a ± both directions. Got Chlo in pool to 2.0 for a few days w/ liquid. Checked return line w/ SWG on Supper Chlo for chlorine. None being added, same as pool. Well, cell 4 years old so did acid wash. Replaced cell and still no chlorine in return line. Amps went up too 6.2. So bought a generic, never tried a generic, and installed. Volts 24.7, amps 7.1. Tested the return line again and maybe from pool level of 1.5 to maybe 2.0 of chlorine. Pump running slow, flow light off on SWG so all is OK there. I think I remember, getting old, that I would see 5+ checking the return with the SWG on Supper Chlo. I replaced the current limiter years back because I have current I don't thin this is it. Any ideas? Could old DPD test chemicals cause this? I got the bigger bottles of the 001 and 002 2 years ago.

Thanks Brad

If the volts and amps are good, it's definitely working.

It's like if you had a 5.5 kw heater element and you tested the volts at 240 and the amps at 22.9, you know the element is producing the correct amount of heat.

Welcome to TFP!

Fill out a signature for your equipment and it will help us help you.

If you have a T-15 cell the latest numbers look like it is producing chlorine. You need to raise the FC with bleach and run an OCLT tonight to determine if there are organics consuming the chlorine.

The DPD powder should be fine if it isn't black and clumped up.

Most Leslie's have cell testers to verify if a cell has died or will work.

Just some expectations about the t15 (if the generic is inline with the original). I believe it produces 1.47 lbs of chlorine in 24 hours, using the Saltwater Chlorine Generator Calculator, that works out to 11 FC per day (again in 24 hours) so per 14 hour period you should expect 6.5 FC - whatever your pool is drawing as a daily FC loss. You mentioned algae so it could easily overload that daily FC if something is growing in your pool, even if you can't see any...

YippeeSkippy
I have Taylor K-2005 http://www.poolsupplyworld.com/Taylor-Technologies-K-2005-Complete-High-Range-Pool-and-Spa-Water-Test-Kit/K-2005.htm

JamesW
I agree, with electricity the energy has to go somewhere. Electric heaters are 100% efficient. I know the cell is using the energy, or is it power, to do something. But is it making chlorine or just heating the water.

BasicTek

The new cell has not been in long enough time to tell if the chlorine level will level out. Ill give it a few more days. What I don't understand is if I check the pool I am at 1.5 chlorine. If I take a sample of the return line directly from the cell I don't or maybe just a little more chlorine, like 2.0, maybe. This is with the pump at 1700rpm. So I would think this level would be very high. I will try to do the math what this should be, Lb/hr Cl and pump flow rate etc. But I kinda remember checking this return years ago and getting +5 Cl above what the pool Cl is at. It was very easy to know the cell was generating Cl using this method. Now I can't tell.

[h=1][/h]

It's definitely making chlorine.

If the box salt reading is correct, the cell is working properly.

If you have higher flow rates, the chlorine gets diluted in more water.

What is the flow rate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
*** At sunset take a FC reading (2 times at different spots in the pool just to be sure).

*** Run your SWG all night.

*** First thing in the morning, take a FC reading (2 times at different spots in the pool just to be sure).

You should see a nice bump in the FC reading.

*** At sunset take a FC reading (2 times at different spots in the pool just to be sure).

*** Run your SWG all night.

*** First thing in the morning, take a FC reading (2 times at different spots in the pool just to be sure).

You should see a nice bump in the FC reading.
Not if algae is consuming the chlorine like I think it is. A clear SWG pool does not mean it is a pool without algae.

JamesW

Using the pump/flow curve, 1800 rpm @ 24psi looks to be flowing 50gpm ish.

Last few days been using Pool Perfect/Phosfree to remove any phosphates and shocked pool last night just in case there is any algae left. Brush every day. I'll let pool stablise and I will recheck everything.

Your left side scale is in TDH -- in feet of water. 25 feet of water equates to 10.8 psi.

Also, note that filter pressure only accounts for return side head loss. To get total dynamic head, you have to measure vacuum pressure on the suction side and convert it into feet of head and add it to return side head loss.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.