What kind of cover do I need for winter?

bella44

Jun 21, 2013
I am new to this! This has been my first year with a pool (intex ultra frame 18ft X 4ft). After researching I have decided to leave it up this winter. I've read on this forum how to close the pool but not sure what kind of cover I need. The cover that came with the pool has holes in the top so I'm assuming that wont work. Also, where do I buy a cover? One more question.....I plan to drain and start all over with my water next spring so do I still need to worry about adding chemicals to my water before I close it? Thanks!

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Why do you plan to replace all the water in the spring? If you close correctly, you can open to clear water. Or if it is a little green, just SLAM.

bella44

Jun 21, 2013
Water has turned my hair somewhat green so i want to get rid of the copper. Also, I've been trying to get rid of either pollen or some form of brown algae for weeks now. I feel like its easier to just start all over next spring now that I'm a little more experienced.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Getting rid of the copper is certainly a valid reason ... how did it get in the pool in the first place? Have you eliminated the source?

bella44

Jun 21, 2013
I have the intex SWG. After researching on here I figured out I needed to unplug the copper on it. I did that but apparently the only way to get rid of copper is to drain the pool.

bella44

Jun 21, 2013
Buying a winter cover

My AG pool is an 18ft intex. Do I buy a pool cover for an 18ft pool or should I get one a little bigger to make sure it fits?