What keeps water out of Intex sliding corners?

Jun 22, 2013
The Intex rectangular pools use a sliding corner that is designed to move with the pool. What, if anything, keep water from getting in via that connection and flowing into the adjacent U leg? Without weep holes in the bottom of the U leg, wouldn’t water just sit at the bottom?

The Intex rectangular pools use a sliding corner that is designed to move with the pool. What, if anything, keep water from getting in via that connection and flowing into the adjacent U leg? Without weep holes in the bottom of the U leg, wouldn’t water just sit at the bottom?
I believe, The water will never get into the leg. First of of all, there’s a white plastic fitting on the top of “u” leg that Connects the “u” leg to the top rail. Second, The holes in the top rail where “u” leg connects face down. Any water that gets in the top rail through the sliding corner piece should run out of the top rail through those holes..

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t set mine up yet and I had read about rusted frames, so I’m just wanting to do what I can to minimize rust.

I see what you are saying now about water running out the oval holes in the horizontal framing members, and I think you’re probably right. The plastic push pins that hold the U-Legs inside the horizontal rails appear to lock just slightly above the inside bottom of the horizontal rails. So unless there was a good amount of water in the rails, none should get into the upper push pins. The lower push pins could allow some water entry, but they can easily be sealed with silicone after installation. I suppose silicone could be applied to the upper push pins just prior to inserting the U-Legs into the horizontal members as well.

Agreed, I don’t think water gets in the legs, but it will get into those sidebars. My corners all have quite a bit of rust on the bottom side. This is year 3 & I’m hoping to get an XTR next year. Though it comes with the powder coating, I’ll probably put an additional coating over them & I intend to use my current liner to create some sort of barrier over them so they won’t ever actually get wet.

What do you think is causing the rust on the bottom side of your corners? Do you think water is getting trapped in there? Weep holes drilled in the bottom of the corners would let water out if standing water inside the corners is the issue.

I have the XTR, but I plan to spray paint the insides of all framing, as well as spray a good coating of Woolwax before assembly.

Yes, the framing bars. Honestly, I haven’t given it much thought as to what could be causing it. I do have a saltwater pool, I really don’t ever think saltwater is as big a contributor as most people make it out to be. But now that I’ve thought about it, it is only the under side. But that could also be from it dripping from those spots too. I have been considering taking them out completely & making something out of some PVC just to hold off another year. That’s a back burner thing in case I’m not able to find the XTR on sale this winter bc of Covid. Drilling holes would probably help those too. I would just be sure to coat them well. Something else I came across AFTER I put mine up was a guy greasing the connections. It was a YouTube video & it wasn’t in English, but you got the concept. Here’s a link to the idea I’m wanting to go on for covering them. It will have to be done differently bc ours are corners, but I think it could work. I like that it looks clean & professional.

It’s interesting you mentioned PVC. Schedule 80 Electrical PVC conduit is pretty thick walled and could possibly be used to fabricate an entire frame assembly for this pool. It’d be worth looking into. Schedule 80 would have to be purchased at an electrical supply house and it’s a little pricy, but it’s strong.

I am not DIY enough to build an entire frame.lol. But I am really considering doing that to the corner pieces now that we’re on the subject. I could get some decent pricing too with an electric supply vendor we use at the office.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Look into getting a SWEEPING 90. I haven’t been unboxed our pool yet, but I did notice the frame appears to be oval in shape. I’m not sure if the corners are oval or round, but if oval then that’ll be a problem unless the corners are significantly oversized.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.