Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I replaced my pool pump motor (but not housing) a couple months ago. I noticed it was leaking, reseated it and tightened the screws even tighter than before, and it seemed to be good after that. Then Winter Storm Uri came through Texas and burst a couple of my pipes. I was without power for 36 hours; outside of that time, the pump was working. The motor has "freeze protection" where it turns on below a certain temperature. The pool equipment _seemed_ to make it through just fine, but I was too preoccupied with other things to give it a deep inspection.

Recently, I noticed it was leaking again. I'd see air in the filter basket. Water on the ground around the pump. The level of water in the pool was constantly low, despite my efforts to fill it. I also saw signs that the DE filter was leaking (wet spots), but couldn't detect an active trail of water. I pulled the motor out today and there was what looked like sand in the pump housing. Maybe it was DE powder? Here's a picture of what it looked like on the ground after I cleaned it out:

20210429_150154.jpg

I cleaned the mechanical seal inside the motor assembly and reassembled the pump, relubricated all the gaskets, and tightened the screws as tight as before. When I turned everything back on, I could see water coming out the top of the DE filter. Eventually the ground around the pump was wet, but I couldn't tell if it was the filter leak or a pump leak. Here's a video. What might be wrong with my system? I'm thinking it might be time to call in a pro. (If you have a recommendation in the northwest Houston area, please message me.)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.