Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
For every time I have added stabilizer in my skimmer sock, I get this brown residue. Is this just an undissolved stabilizer? Is this normal?

Should I replace the sock? Or leave as is until it is gone (assuming it is stabilizer).
EB604EDB-64E0-441A-B903-7DFC50DF05D4.jpeg

That is strange. Never heard of brown residue from stabilizer before. Is it 100% CYA?

BTW, when we recommend putting granular CYA in a sock, we mean an actual footwear sock tied with a knot. Preferably white, or a women's knee-high nylon. Then you have something to squeeze with your hand to speed dissolution.

Looks about the same way my skimmer sock does after it's been in for a few days. If it's happening quickly, your water could just be dirtier than you realize (and your skimmer sock is doing its job). But I don't know that there's anything correlative with your cyanuric acid. If there is, I suppose because adding the CYA would make your chlorine more effective at killing organisms because it helps maintain your levels against UV degradation, you could have more shedding of dead organisms and so your sock is getting dirtier faster, but eh...that's not a theory I'd really get behind...just spitballing. Either way, I don't think it has a directly causal relationship to the CYA in your skimmer.

I use something like this. The finest mesh I could find. It's easy to squeeze, easy to see how much is left. It's zippered, so larger, undissolved chunks can't escape. I hang it in the skimmer by trapping a corner of it with the skimmer lid, so that it can't lay on the bottom of the basket and clog things up, nor can it escape out into the pool somehow.

Edit: I don't know why the link reads "robot or human" but it should resolve correctly to a Walmart page.

PS. Sorry, can't help with the brown, other than to say CYA granules don't do that. Maybe show us what you're using, and we can confirm.

Looks about the same way my skimmer sock does after it's been in for a few days. If it's happening quickly, your water could just be dirtier than you realize (and your skimmer sock is doing its job). But I don't know that there's anything correlative with your cyanuric acid. If there is, I suppose because adding the CYA would make your chlorine more effective at killing organisms because it helps maintain your levels against UV degradation, you could have more shedding of dead organisms and so your sock is getting dirtier faster, but eh...that's not a theory I'd really get behind...just spitballing. Either way, I don't think it has a directly causal relationship to the CYA in your skimmer.
I like your analogy and will go with that. It does make sense 😀

This is what I use for stabilizer…and it does say 100% cyanuric acid hydrate.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 4
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.