What is this big tube? (New pool owner)

largesock

Apr 26, 2017
Missouri
I'd guess it's about 6 ft deep, and at the bottom there's either coarse sand, rocks, or random debris. It's very hard to get a good look at it. Googling hasn't gotten me anywhere. Thanks!

20170425_115244.jpg20170425_115318.jpg20170425_115306.jpg

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
It looks like you have a well point. They are typically installed in areas where ground water can get very high. It looks like you have a fiberglass pool. The well point allows you to drop a submersible pump in there to pump ground water away from the pool, so that pressure from the ground water doesn't deform the walls of the pool. You had a very considerate pool installer!

duraleigh

Admin
Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
In The Industry
Apr 1, 2007
Sebring, Florida
Yeah, looks like a wellpoint to me, too. Congrats to your PB for his "plan ahead" thoughts.

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I'd keep an eye on it especially during the rainy season.

I'd even consider getting a rod (something like they use at gas stations for checking tank levels) and check it every so often during periods of rain.

GoGrabTheNet

Dec 13, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
The well point allows you to drop a submersible pump in there to pump ground water away from the pool, so that pressure from the ground water doesn't deform the walls of the pool. You had a very considerate pool installer!
Especially critical if you drain the pool to keep it from "floating." Seriously.

Other Threads of Interest