Rockledge, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Hey folks! I’m curious what about underwater cameras. I’m not brave enough to use my phone and research is mixed. Do we just buy a GoPro or some cheaper version? What do you all use? I’m not attempting to be a professional photographer, just take some fun pics and videos of the kids in the pool.

I bought an inexpensive waterproof point and shoot camera at Costco to use on the beach. I think good picture quality in an inexpensive camera is the best so if it does get damaged by water it is no big loss.

I like the gopro because my snorkel has a mount and I can swim around and video. The resolution is very good combined with a TFP clear pool it's easy to go back and watch the video and inspect my plaster.

I've used my SeaLife brand for over 10 years diving and used it in the pool several times. Takes great video and stills. I notice they now have a model that's around $300. Nice thing about this brand is it has been dominant in the scuba world so seal kits and accessories are very easy to find.

Chris

Thanks everyone! I really like the idea of the GoPro snorkel mount. The hero 7 black is nicely priced at less than $200. I might go that route.
I never heard of SeaLife brand. I’ll check it out.

The latest GoPro is Crud. It's overheats. You also shouldn't use it underwater without the waterproof add on housing. And as usual its zoom is cloogy. I'm actually super disappointed in GoPro they are resting on their laurels and not producing anything better. I sent an email recently to GoPro asking them if I should short their stock. There are way better products out there!

@PoolGate thats funny. I’m sure you’ll hear crickets from them. SetSailSoon recommended seaLife and I really like the idea of it. Now I just have to justify the $300 in my head for a case. Any other recommendations for an underwater cam?

I like the gopro because my snorkel has a mount and I can swim around and video. The resolution is very good combined with a TFP clear pool it's easy to go back and watch the video and inspect my plaster.
Would have to agree here ^^
Can't beat GoPro's.., at least from my experience!

I'm trying a cheap way out. Amazon.com: Kona Submariner Large Waterproof Phone Pouch - Swipe Sideways On Any iPhone, Samsung To Take Photos - Universal Pouch Bag For Cell Phones with Case Up to 7.2 inch Diagonal

I just got it today so if the weather stays clear we will be jumping in later and I'll test it out. Long term I'm now looking at the Hero 7 Black. The more I thought about trying to swap out the case from my current case I don't like that idea. So it looks like GoPro Hero 7 is the cheapest, good quality option. If the lanyard/pouch works well I may even try to hold off until Black Friday.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.