What is the best Elevator Pitch for TFPC?

sadohert

Silver Supporter
Oct 10, 2016
Waterloo, Ontario
So, this beginner post seems great... I didn't read it all just now, but I've either read the same post, or a dozen other similar ones, and I'm fully sold. I'm an enthusiastic app user.

I'll admit, when I was first told about this site as a very new pool owner I gave a passing thought, but moved on and just thought pucks and a weekly dump of 10L of liquid chlorine would sort me fine. Surely the pool builder and the pool chemical store had my best interests at heart!

We started with the pool for about 6 weeks in the Fall, then the next year was fine, and the problems started on year 3. I figure the CYA accumulated enough and blew everything up. Finally I took TFP seriously, and I "get it" now... even though I "fell from grace" on my journey 🤣... I still pause when they offer me Phos Defence... "Surely that make sense!?").

The thing is, the beginner post is a lot to swallow at first. How do you SELL the rationale for it all as efficiently as possible? I have a friend who just took ownership of a regular chlorine style pool, and in the past owned a salt/SWG? type pool. He has an algae issue, and from running my test kit on a 2 hour old sample, I see CYA=90, FC=1, PH>8.... I think its time to call Super TFP Man!

The idea that "Of course the pool stores are going to tell you this and that... its in THEIR best interests" always resonated... but I guess I just couldn't believe it (and the lazy man in me wanted the pool store story to be true SO bad 🤣).

ANyone know of a good succinct post to get someone to bite?

Reactions: Kiss4aFrog
TFP Methods are not sold, they are bought. You just patiently wait until they are muttering “there must be a better way”. Then slide up to them and suggest there is a different way hundreds of thousands of pool owners are successfully using.

Tell em that the pool store is like Jiffy lube, right down to the teenagers doing the 'work' and the overpriced and unnecessary additions, and TFPC is the trusted mechanic who has been a family friend for years.

Reactions: sadohert
It was hard for me to bite my tongue and not speak up as the local pool store bamboozled the couple in front of me with a total purchase price of well over $200.

They had parked next to me and I stopped them as they were loading all of the potions into the back of the truck. All I was loading was 12.5% two pack of chlorine. I mentioned my purchase was $11 something plus tax and that was all I need to maintain crystal clear water. All of that other stuff wasn't necessary. Phos-free, powdered chlorine and some scale remover, which was diluted acid. I asked didn't they already use MA to lower their pH. Then they showed me some powdered pH down. I shook my head and gave them the TFP website. I said all you need to add to your water is liquid chlorine, MA and conditioner.

They said but we have a slight green tint on our pool walls and we want to get rid of it. Again I mentioned TFP website and said all you really need to do is to not open anything, read the site and you'll walk out like me spending around $11. You can probably return all of this stuff as long as you keep your receipt and don't open anything. Check it out. I don't know what happened or if they became members but I always look for new Las Vegas members.

What I learned in my few (too many) years in sales is to keep it brief and let them feel like they decided to make the decision.

"What's all that stuff do anyway?" Wait for answer "Huh, it's been so long since I've used any of it I'd forgotten. I follow a method on a site called TroubleFreePool. Lot of experts on the site, if you ever need a second opinion you should check it out."

Funny thing is you can probably find a quote of me saying "we don't offer second opinions" regarding pool store advice, but the point is to get them to question for themselves why they are adding that stuff and plant the seed that there's someplace they can come to ask about it. Remember: an elevator pitch isn't designed to inform or sell, it's to get someone intrigued enough to seek out the information they will eventually need to buy.

I found TFP in June, shortly after the pool builder turned over pool care to us. I was researching everything about the pool, because I'm a DIYer by nature and I wanted to know all the details of how my equipment worked and how the chemicals needed to be balanced. I read articles on the big pool store websites, watched You Tube videos from the "I've been taking care of pools for a living for 15 years" guys, but I kept coming back to TFP because there is a ton of information here, and because everybody's story is the same: Stick with it, and it works.
If somebody is content with their current pool care, you probably can't "sell" them on TFP. But if they say they are looking for a better way, show them TFP and tell them "this is what I do." A personal endorsement goes a long way.
Thanks, Hal

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.