What is going on with this stain?

ChrisL75

Apr 2, 2020
Lakeland, FL
So I have a couple of dark spots on the bottom of my pool. I placed some ascorbic acid on one to test it. Seemed like it made the stain spread with a brownish color. I travel for work so didn’t have anymore time to mess with it. A couple months go by and I now have what is going on in the photo. The one stain is kind of like my control, I didn’t mess with it. The other looks like I ****** it off terribly and has grown into a huge mess.

I’m about to travel home finally and hope to have about two weeks to fix this. Your help is appreciated. I have seen the guide on stain removal. I was just expecting the ascorbic acid to lift the stain not turn it into some kind of monster.

Attachments

• 8FE69148-AA25-494B-A917-C8C8CED91C93.jpeg
    8FE69148-AA25-494B-A917-C8C8CED91C93.jpeg
    280.1 KB · Views: 24
  • D090EC20-9716-42FA-B570-3224BCB87B9F.jpeg
    D090EC20-9716-42FA-B570-3224BCB87B9F.jpeg
    381.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 6C117303-8BF6-47F7-B6B5-1DE2874C9675.jpeg
    6C117303-8BF6-47F7-B6B5-1DE2874C9675.jpeg
    323.7 KB · Views: 26
Do you have any dry acid you could try on the stains? I would try that since the Vitamin C made it worse. See what kind of reaction you get. It would also be helpful to see a full set of test results next time you post just so we can be assured of what those levels are like. Other than salt for your SWG and muriatic acid, have any other products been used in the water that you know of?

Looks like a rebar rust stain bleeding through the plaster. See if a magnetic will stick to the spots. Localized acid poured through a funnel can remove it but it will return. Fix is to cut out the rusting rebar that is too close to the surface and replaster.

Reactions: JamesW
How do I share my logs on pool math?
The three things I have added to my pool since I have owned it was salt, muriatic acid, and dry stabilizer. Oh and some liquid bleach. Chemistry was way out of whack when I got the pool so did a water exchange in the beginning. City water.

I took a close look at the stain with a mask on and it just looked black and on the surface. Didn’t turn brown and nasty like this until I gave it some vitamin c. Don’t have any other acid at the moment but I can get some to try if I know what to get.

When you can get your hands on some dry acid, try that as well. The fact that the Vitamin C made the stains worse has me thinking it's copper. You can put the dry acid in a sock and tie it to the end of a pole to hold it against the stain if that works better for you.

I’m guess the chlorine went high while the wife was gone due to winter approaching. Ph creeps up every week and we add acid to bring it back down. She just hasn’t added it yet.

one other idea is the previous owner said her kid and his friends would throw change in the pool and go dive for it. You think a couple of pennies laying on the bottom for a long time can cause some staining? I’m just really hoping it’s not the rebar idea mentioned above.

The coin game might be related. If the copper residue remained and the plaster was never acid washed, it may be embedded in there. You'll know for sure once you do the test, but that's very possible. Also keep in mind that an elevated FC and pH will aggerate metal staining. So once the FC drops back down and you get the pH under control, the staining may subside a bit - maybe.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.