What is ACO?

Ellislo,

I suggest that you find a pool store that does not sell "magic" in a bottle.. Just check out the Dryden Aqua site and read there marketing.. Almost all total bull stuff...

And... I suspect their magic is 5 x the cost of what we recommend.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I defer to others for a more detailed explanation of ACO, which is a real thing but is not a proper sanitation technique in a pool, but here is the quick answer to the root question:

The product they are trying to sell you is not a replacement for CYA. It will not protect chlorine from sunlight nor buffer the harshness of the chlorine. If they don't have cyanuric acid then you will either have to go elsewhere or see if they still sell dichlor (Sodium dichloroisocyanurate) which is a CYA bound chlorine. Using that to chlorinate for a few days instead of your SWG will raise your CYA level.

And if you haven't already, ignore any advice that pool store is giving you now. They have apparently decided to buy in to a rather shady pool care technique that you don't want to get sucked in to. Whether out of greed or ignorance, I will leave that to you to decide.

Reactions: Shirker
Based on a cursory overview, it looks like a bunch of nonsense.

Most likely, they require something else to be used in conjunction with the product that does the real work.

Ask the pool store what they have to "buffer" chlorine.....as *this* product does not and is not the same thing or a replacement for CYA in any way, shape or form. Tells us what else they sell and maybe we can help you pick the best product.

Maddie :flower:

The Dryden Aqua products are a "system" of chemicals and equipment meant to work together in unison to produce a water body that can remain clean at low FC levels (typically less than 0.7ppm). They are a Scottish company that sells mostly into the European market where CYA use is heavily regulated. Their system can work but you can't just take the components of it and expect the same results.

The ACO chemical is most likely titanium dioxide nanoparticles that, due to their size, stay suspended and dispersed into solution. TiO2 strongly absorbs UV radiation and is often used as a catalyst material to enhance UV photolysis of waste water chemicals. In a swimming pool at low concentrations, it would act to block the transmission off UV light in the bulk of the water volume. While the UV absorbing properties would save on chlorine loss, it has no effect of chlorine chemistry, meaning, it has no buffering or reserve effect. In the Dryden Aqua system, pool water is heavily filtered using a constant injection of flocculant into the input side of the water stream and then a series of cavitation filters and sand filtering to produce water that is low in suspended solids and bacteria. Chlorine is injected or created with an SWG at the final output stage and is typically designed to be very low level, around 0.5ppm. This will result in pool water that has a nominal hypochlorous acid concentration of around 200ppb or so which is quite high but not very irritating. Given the low levels of FC, hydraulic efficiency and good circulation of the water volume is critical.

I would simply stay away from the Dryden ACO stuff and order CYA online through Amazon or Walmart or wherever you can get it delivered.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@JoyfulNoise thanks for the clarification. Unfortunately, I can't find cyanuric acid locally. So I suppose I have to make do without it.

Can you purchase dichlor “shock” powder or trichlor tablets? Those are stabilized forms of chlorine that contain cyanuric acid.

If you know how much CYA (Cyanuric Acid) you have in the pool, you can use PoolMath to figure how much trichlor you'll need to increase it to your desired level.

For instance
Your pool is ~43,000 L
You need to raise the CYA by 40 ppm.
You'll need a total of 1,000 grams of Trichlor to do that. However, that's way to much FC to add at one time, so you'll spread it out over time.
Turn off the SWCG.
Say you use 3 ppm FC per day you'll need to add a couple of tablets each week if the tablets are 200g each, so that would take about a month to get the CYA to where you need it. Once you've used up the amount of tablets that you need, just turn the SWCG back on and you're good.

[NOTE: Math in the above example is erroneous, it's just as an example]

Reactions: Arizonarob
Please post the exact information about the tablets - brand name and any ingredient list. If they are 99% trichlor, then that’s ok. However, some tablets are not pure trichlor but contain various additives. It’s best to know exactly what it is you are using. Some brands of tablets contain copper metal salts to act as an algaecide, you want to avoid that.

Correct. Trichlor tablets will add chlorine and CYA to your pool water.
What you posted does not show any other ingredients. That is good.

If the tablet is 100% trichlor, then it is a known ratio of CYA and FC add to a body of water.

For every 10 ppm Free Chlorine (FC) added by Trichlor, it also increases Cyanuric Acid (CYA) by 6 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.