What have I done? :) (First Post)

Roberttttt

Jun 12, 2020
San Diego CA
Hi Everyone,
I haven't even open the box to our new 14' x 48" AGP and I'm worried about install. The purchase was made because our 10 year old (only child) daughter is in for a lonely summer with no summer camps and social distancing. I guess I should have done more research but pool availability is crazy right now (as are the prices) so I made my purchase and here we are.

We have a terraced yard - it's flat at the top. drops steeply (as a hill) for about 10 feet or so, then it's 'flat' again. Flat is in quotes of course, because of drainage. This is where we hope to place the pool. It would be about 4 feet from our fence, and 7 or so feet away from the corner of the house. I've read enough to know I should put the pool on an actual level surface, and I know I need to remove soil as opposed to add it. As I went to clear out the space (the yard has been 'unattended' to for a while - I'll just leave it at that) I found that there are some rather large tree roots poking out of the surface. Is building up really a problem? A neighbor thinks I can put it on a wooden platform. I know not to ever ask him for help again - lol :) A piece of me wants to return it but it would break my daughter's heart. I don't want the installation to cost more than the overpriced pool. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

Well you definitely want to go down. If you need help with the roots, I found a sawzall works best. Milwaukee makes a blade that’s 2X as thick. It’s called ‘The Axe’ and it won’t bend/break as much. Anyway, living up to it’s name it saws all. The root and dirt in one shot. If the roots go particularly down and not across the lawn you may need to dig a little.

Well you definitely want to go down. If you need help with the roots, I found a sawzall works best. Milwaukee makes a blade that’s 2X as thick. It’s called ‘The Axe’ and it won’t bend/break as much. Anyway, living up to it’s name it saws all. The root and dirt in one shot. If the roots go particularly down and not across the lawn you may need to dig a little.
Thanks for your quick reply. Do you think I need to remove the whole root or can I shave the top of it off and pack dirt on top (keeping it level of course).

I keep reading about how these pools are ready to go on a concrete slab - I'm wondering if I can buy pavers, shave the roots down, place pavers over everything (level of course) and give it a go. Hoping that it's easier to level and that the pavers and weight of the pool would keep the roots from pushing back up. I know I could be thinking outside of the box that I have no business owning :)

If you leave roots, or parts of roots, they will decay and leave streak-y/ sink holes under the liner. Or some might flourish with the dampness under the pool and continue to grow poking through whatever you lay down and the pool floor. As if they dont call enough attention to themselves, they also collect whatever sand/debris floats around the pool and makes them even more conspicuous.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.