What happens if I power high and low speed of a two speed pump at the same time? Will I damage the pump or just high overwrite the low setting?

buffalocu

Mar 16, 2019
arizona
It sounds a wired question. It is because I am trying to use two T104 on/off timers to control a two speed pump. I‘d like to use one timer to control low speed on from 4am to 10pm. Then I will use the second timer to have the high speed on between 1:00am - 2:00am.

However, I worry that the two T104 timers won't synchronize perfectly after a while and end up with the condition that both high and low speed of the pump are powered at the same time. As long as the pump is not damaged, I am ok with it messes up once every several months.

Thanks so much!

Buffalo, welcome to TFP! :wave: It looks like your first post was pulled away from another thread, perhaps to avoid a potential hijack issue. But @JohnT or @Bama Rambler are a couple who may be able to confirm you concern about T-104 motors synch'ing up together.

B,

Welcome to TFP... A great place to learn how to let the smoke out of a 2-speed motor..

You never, every want to power both the low speed and high speed windings at the same time unless you want to buy a new motor.

They make timers for 2-speed motors.. I suggest that you use one of them.

Thanks,

Jim R.

You need a T104 timer and a T106 timer to correctly control a 2 speed motor. Here's the wiring diagram: 2 speed motor wiring using T104 & T106 timer combo

The Intermatic Control Center is one way to do it. Another is to use one T104 and one T106 - each in their own separate enclosure. Let us know what exactly you have now and we can better advise you. Fill out your signature with your pool info and provide pics of your equipment pad.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.