What Filter Should I Buy?

DThompson55

Jun 20, 2016
Manchester, CT
We're throwing out our 20 year old DE filter, it developed a crack in the housing. So what should we replace it with? And is there a best time to buy, as far as sales go? 15,000 gallon above ground.

JoyfulNoise

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
May 23, 2015
Tucson, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Another DE filter .... ?

If not dealing with DE is on your wish list, then you can probably go down to a cartridge filter and still not notice a difference in performance. The only caveat is that, for most filter decisions, the biggest one you can afford is best. This is especially true for a cart filter since you want to have to open it up and clean as few times in a given year or season as is practical.

I love my Pentair QuadDE-100 because I've gotten to the point where I only need to tear it down twice per year and clean it out. I do not have to backwash it at all. So two tear-downs per year means going through two 10-lb bags of DE per year, that's it.

xyz

Gold Supporter
Sep 8, 2016
Escondido/CA
I'm with JFN. I liked my old DE, I really like my Quad DE80. Dropped my power bill too. I saw a 2:1 reduction in flow friction, and was able to drop by pump speed [and therefore power utilization] to about 170 watts.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.