Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
My Hayward DE filter has come to the end of its life and i’m curious if anyone has any suggestions. My DE filter made the water flawless, but I hated the “bumping” and adding new DE, and cleaning out the “fingers” of the filter, etc. Looking for an easier way!

Hayward Pro Grid 6020 DE filter. It’s oversized for the pool, so I never have to backwash during the season. At closing, I take it apart to clean it thoroughly; not a big deal. I suspect this model with grids is easier to clean than models with fingers. It was installed in 2004 and has performed very well. The only part that’s been replaced is the air relief valve.

Depends on bather load and how much organic debris makes it into the pool. Your Perflex has a 20-25 sq ft filtration area, and the Star Clear has a 50 sq ft filtration area, so it should be able to go longer between cleanings than your current DE filter. Do you get much debris from trees and landscaping in the area blown into the pool? How often do you clean the Perflex?

Reactions: microscopes
Depends on bather load and how much organic debris makes it into the pool. Your Perflex has a 20-25 sq ft filtration area, and the Star Clear has a 50 sq ft filtration area, so it should be able to go longer between cleanings than your current DE filter. Do you get much debris from trees and landscaping in the area blown into the pool? How often do you clean the Perflex?
Unless there is a huge algae bloom (due to laziness) I clean it twice per season. Once at beginning and once towards the end.

Reactions: Andrew Herman
Microscopes, I have a pentair clean and clear cartridge, despite copious amounts of pollen in spring, I clean my cartridges once per year. I do use skimmer socks that get a majority of gunk before it reaches them.

Reactions: microscopes

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.