What does "match color with color standard" mean?

Mar 23, 2016
Orlando, FL
I'm preparing to do a pH test and I cannot freaking figure out how. I'm using a Taylor Kit that says I should use R-0004, then "match color to color standard."

There is no color guide.

The he book says it's designed to work with a "color comparator" but I've no clue what the heck that is and cannot seem to find it.

I'm trying to fix this pool because I'm afraid that if I drain it, it will pop up from the ground (I saw pics of that online when googling how to empty a pool.) So I'm working on this.

I'm also swearing a lot.

Does anyone know what "match color to color standard" means...or how to do it?

Please don't ask me ten million questions about what kind of equipment I have (I don't know) or what the chemical tests say (I don't know, just trying to learn how to perform them now.)

All I know is that it's not salt based, is maybe 13,500 gallons and has plasters stuff in it. It's not fiberglass, that much I do know. :)

If you cannot help me because I'm too lost and beyond help, it's cool.

Thanks! :)

It's all good! Just in case you have trouble watching the video for some reason. The comparator is the cylinder with lines and pinkish squares on it. Add water to the fill line, add 5 drops of R0004, cap it, invert it a couple of times and see what color block the water color best matches. Hold it up in bright light with a white background behind it.

Don't forget adult beverage of choice in between tests and posts about how much fun you are having! :-D :cheers:

Thank you. The water thingy. Color comparator. Try googling the word "comparator." You find electronic stuff, which is the last thing I want to mix with water (good or bad), is of no help whatsoever and is very typical for my entire experience.

I swear, the more I read, the more confused I get.

I'm like afraid to post because I've read a lot and people want all this info I don't have, lol. If I knew what everything was and had all the test numbers and stuff, I wouldn't need help.

It's very nice of you guys to help people out for free. Thank you.

Also, thanks for that video! I tried to find explanations, but so many...and so different.

i like how they show you how to move the color comparator. Now I know I don't have to literally swirl or shake, just agitate it a bit.

Many thanks. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.