What do I do when pool build finishes in winter?

Jul 12, 2013
Saint Louis, MO
I signed my contract at the end of April, with an expectation that my pool would be finished in "45 dry days". We still have a LONG way to go! It will definitely be cold when the pool is filled. We are having a Pebble Sheen (actually Stonescapes) finish applied. I have heard about the importance of maintaining proper chemistry and brushing the surface for some time after application. How is this done when a pool is finished this late in the season?

Excavation was done in May. Shotcrete was done at the end of July. PB has been messing around with tracks for our Cover Star auto cover for a few weeks. Raised walls on the pool are yet to be constructed... This has been an extremely frustrating experience...

Like hudsonviews said...at this point it's probably a better idea to wait until the spring to plaster and fill. Brand new plaster is pretty sensitive and needs management, which you can't do with the pool closed and covered. Sorry this has been such an ordeal for you!

I'm not sure what PT says, but the finish I chose (CLI Quartz) has to be applied in temperatures of 40F plus. As MIT and others have said, new finishes need maintaining, and you can't do it with the pool closed/covered. I am digging in late November, and may have to wait till spring to have my finish applied. Look into it, but I can't imagine PT would be all that different in temperature requirements for application.

Our pool was dug in MD in February. Here there are no generally no plasterers working during that time period. They all go south. Ours was just plaster and they said the temperature should be over 60. At least that was their preference. Ours was more a matter of the labor to do it had not yet come back north.

Letting a concrete pool shell sit through the winter is no issue so long as there are hydrostatic valves or you fill it at least partially up. I've seen numerous pool here built in the fall with interior finishing done the following spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.