What did you do to your pool today?

Turned the solar heat back on (water temp had dropped to 80), ran all my chem tests, and sent Kokapelli out to give it a cleaning.

Ran the robot and admired how clean and sparkly the water is! I’m in Indiana, heater is off and all the pool toys were put away 2 weeks ago. No trees. Just time to enjoy it till we close it down at the end of Oct/early Nov.

Brought water up to SLAM level, brushed and vacuumed, and put the cover on. It’s still 90° here in Texas, but we have storms moving in this weekend and lots of leaves about to drop. I’ll still need to come back and get some of the fasteners into the anchors once the cover stretches out a little. Covering the pool is always bittersweet - a level of satisfaction by getting the cover on by myself for at least 1 more year, but hate closing the pool down when there’s still plenty of swim season remaining.

1633031537819.jpeg

Added some chlorine and emptied the skimmer. The water is definitely too cold for us to swim but my cover doesn't come in until mid Oct. I don't mind having a couple more weeks to look at the pretty water though. It's been a great first summer

Looked at my crystal clear water. Lol

seriously. Nothing much. Skimmer baskets. This week I got to get my storage room switched over to winter setup from summer so I can get to my winter stuff forcthe pool more easy.

Today, I went swimming! 92 degrees here in Las Vegas, the water was 80 not too bad at all. The air temps are dropping here so I knew I better get in. The autocover has kept the water bearable. I don’t open the cover till like 2:00 to 3:00 trying to make it as warm as possible. It will probably be jacuzzi only in a couple of weeks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got in a little to remove the weight in the steps... it was freezing 🥶 (approx. 77 degrees) Warmed up in the hot tub.
Got in a 2nd time ALL THE WAY unplanned) to retrieve said weight container after the lid came off when i was putting it back in the hole & it fell to the floor as i was trying to return the steps to the pool 😳
got back in the hot tub to recover 🤣
All is well now - handrail removed from steps & deck , steps pulled, washed off & returned to the pool, stupid little weight holder thingy all clean & returned, Bleach bottle weights now resting on the 2nd step in preparation for the upcoming winter nap. Less traffic now so i don’t really have to worry about them moving around too much.
Probably gonna test out my new leaf net cover next week.
Spent most of my day bootless as I performed pool duties. Hopefully I will be free from my shackle by mid week.
It was dicey but got er dun! Glad I didn’t have it on when i was juggling the floating away steps & trying to put that weight container back in as the only way to keep em down was to get in the pool & stand on them then quickly retrieve the bottom of the weighted container & the little concrete filled country time lemonade things inside. I am sure I resembled Lucille Ball on the pool cam- I plan to delete the footage 😵‍💫

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and kimkats
Houston is finally starting to cool off (and I use that term VERY loosely) and with the wife pregnant, she cant handle the water any colder than 91 lol. In preparation for the fall and winter swimming season, I pulled out the solar cover! I bought a reel for it this year...WAAYY easier to put it on and off! I can't believe I didn't get it sooner! My pool may not be the biggest...but I am able to use it 9-10 months out of the year in Houston!

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_100723.jpg
    IMG_20211002_100723.jpg
    745.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20211002_100859.jpg
    IMG_20211002_100859.jpg
    834.4 KB · Views: 22
Saturday I did some work on our cover.

We ended up with a several tiny pinhole leaks in our cover - I cleaned around them and then used some patch material that came with our cover to fix 4 areas. Looking at the areas where the cover was failing led me to decide I should probably check the vault area as it was probably full of leaves and cypress needles - and boy was it. I think I slacked a little bit on that job this year(and last)...the extra debris in the vault I think made the cover drag against the stainless brackets a little more - leading to a little wear on the cover.

We cleaned the pit out and filled two big yard buckets with all of it.

Our cover is now 6 years old - these are our first pin hole leaks - and it looks like we might get more of them soon. I guess that is an OK lifespan for the cover. I think it will last a bit longer, but it looks like a new fabric replacement is going to needed at some point in the next year or so.

I bit the bullet & put my new leaf net cover 🍁 on. Woke up & there were leaves everywhere & the wind was kicking so I decided today was the day!
Not ready for the solid cover yet - water is about 78degrees today & there’s still a little swimming to be done. Putting it on by myself was easy - we’ll see how removal goes. I just used binder clips to secure it vs the cable since i’ll be removing it several times before i put the solid cover on.
I got it for $90 @ inyopools (about $50 less than everywhere else). So far I think it was a good deal. 😁
Doesn’t look as pretty as the blue water though 🥲
3DED3517-1129-402D-8229-6E6ED9FB3826.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude
Netted blue water looks prettier than what is basically a reallllllly big glass of tea. So there is that. 😁
I figured the net will eventually pay for itself since i won’t break as many skimmer baskets. I’ve had this pool 3 seasons & probably bought 10 skimmer baskets 😳
Swimline/hydropools if you’re listening 👂 your baskets need improvement!

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support