What chemical to use first

I think Woody was having a brain fart. He meant Baking Soda for the TA.

TA first, with baking soda. Otherwise pH swings can get wild. To about 50. Then see what happened to pH and fix it with Borax. Then fine tune TA if it needs it.

But if you already have the soda ash, then use that. You'll be juggling two parameters at once, so it gets a little more complicated. Work up to your target pH. Call the pH 7 and target 7.5. Wait an hour or two, then recheck and repeat.

My CYA is lower then 10 ppm. Does any body know how much granular Clore Bright to use that has dichloro in that got me in trouble before I found this website. Don't want to overdo it but get a rough idea before we check CYA again. Also I still need to use Algae Control 60% to prevent algae even when using bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
At the bottom of PoolMath there is a section called Effects of Adding Chems where you can enter the amount of a chemical and it will tell you what it will add to your pool.

I would recommend that you buy stabilizer separately to get your CYA up to 30. Trying to raise CYA with products that also raise chlorine takes too long. Most likely it will end up costing you more in reagents than you would just buying stabilizer, because you're constantly testing to reach your CYA target.

Change your target TA to 90 and it won't tell you to raise it anymore. Use acid to lower PH to 7.6 when it rises to 8.0.

No to algaecide except when closing your pool. And make sure it does not contain copper. I don't close my pool, we're on season 6 with this pool and I have never put algaecide in it.

My next investment is to get a solar blanket that I haven't used in the past couple years. I have two sets of sun solar heaters that I've been using. I'm thinking about going with one now mainly to keep cover at night. I've been doing some research and they all have good and bad reviews. Anybody have any suggestions to where to buy and color and ml thickness. I'm thinking 12 ml not to thin not to thick.

A solar cover will make a big difference in slowing overnight heat loss. Actually we recommend the thinnest, cheapest cover you can find. Thin because it is easier to handle due and cheap because they only last 2-3 years no matter how thick they are. A solar cover works by stopping heat loss through evaporation, mostly at night. Anything that stops evaporation will also stop heat loss. There are blue and clear, get whichever color you like better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.