What chemical order

cholmes28

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I had a pine cone stuck in skimmer line and pool was not circulating for a week and turned green. I blew out clog and now starting my SLAM. Issue is that I have no CYA. I filled tube to the top and can still clearly see dot. Do I bring CYA up first then start SLAM or what? All numbers are way off. If I start SLAM first, how do I know what target chlorine to use since chart is based on CYA levels?

FC 3.0
TA 40
CYA likely 0
PH higher than 8.0. Was dark red

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Add 108 oz of dry stabilizer using the sock method for CYA 30.

Reduce your pH to 7.2. Watch your TA and don't let it fall below 50. PH over 8 and TA40 doesn't make a lot of sense. Retest them before adjusting pH or TA.

Once your pH is 7.2 use CYA 30 SLAM FC of 12 and begin the SLAM Process. You don't need to wait for your stabilizer to all dissolve. It will catch up in a few days.. Run your pump 24/7 during the process.

RonsPlc

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2015
Gaylesville, AL
Did you let your water sample come to room temperature before doing the CYA test?
I get low readings on mine if the water temperature is below 70.
Right now, my water temperature is only 58. I haven't opened yet, but will be in a week or two.

cholmes28

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
Did you let your water sample come to room temperature before doing the CYA test?
No, I did not. I forgot about that! I added 96 oz of dry stabilizer via a sock last night and this AM the CYA was 50, and that was also not done at room temp. I will test again when I get home at room temp. Hopefully I did not add too much stabilizer.

ping

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 24, 2011
Long Beach, CA
That color is off, whenever I have seen that color the pH reagent was bad. I would double check that with a pool store. The pH test is one that is usually reliable with the pool store.

jseyfert3

Bronze Supporter
Oct 20, 2017
South-Central WI
What was your FC level when you took that pH sample? The pH test only works for a FC of 10 or less, which is why you need to adjust pH before beginning a SLAM and not check it until the SLAM is over.

That said, I'm not sure if it can go orange with a really high FC level.

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Assuming your FC is <10, just assume its pH 8.2 (as a guess) and use PoolMath to drop it to 7.2. It may take a couple of times of using MA, but it will get you started. As it lowers you'll have a better chance of getting an accurate reading.

Maddie :flower:
I would not make more then a .6 change in pH at one time unless you had high TA. Her last posted TA was 40.

I had recommended she retest her TA since high pH and low TA do not usually occur.