What chemical order

Jun 9, 2014
Marietta, GA
I had a pine cone stuck in skimmer line and pool was not circulating for a week and turned green. I blew out clog and now starting my SLAM. Issue is that I have no CYA. I filled tube to the top and can still clearly see dot. Do I bring CYA up first then start SLAM or what? All numbers are way off. If I start SLAM first, how do I know what target chlorine to use since chart is based on CYA levels?

FC 3.0
TA 40
CYA likely 0
PH higher than 8.0. Was dark red

Add 108 oz of dry stabilizer using the sock method for CYA 30.

Reduce your pH to 7.2. Watch your TA and don't let it fall below 50. PH over 8 and TA40 doesn't make a lot of sense. Retest them before adjusting pH or TA.

Once your pH is 7.2 use CYA 30 SLAM FC of 12 and begin the SLAM Process. You don't need to wait for your stabilizer to all dissolve. It will catch up in a few days.. Run your pump 24/7 during the process.

Did you let your water sample come to room temperature before doing the CYA test?
I get low readings on mine if the water temperature is below 70.
Right now, my water temperature is only 58. I haven't opened yet, but will be in a week or two.

full

• Haha
Reactions: thefloatqueen
What was your FC level when you took that pH sample? The pH test only works for a FC of 10 or less, which is why you need to adjust pH before beginning a SLAM and not check it until the SLAM is over.

That said, I'm not sure if it can go orange with a really high FC level.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Assuming your FC is <10, just assume its pH 8.2 (as a guess) and use PoolMath to drop it to 7.2. It may take a couple of times of using MA, but it will get you started. As it lowers you'll have a better chance of getting an accurate reading.

Maddie :flower:

I would not make more then a .6 change in pH at one time unless you had high TA. Her last posted TA was 40.

I had recommended she retest her TA since high pH and low TA do not usually occur.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.