What Are These Things I my Pool?

RamenLover

Silver Supporter
Sep 23, 2020
Chino Hills
Hi all! I think I’ve got the chemistry thing figured out for the most part which is great. Thank you for your help.

Im now learning about the equipment I have and how much filtration I need. I came to the realization that I may not be running my pump enough. There’s always a layer of dirt at the bottom of the pool. Apparently 3 hours a day isn’t enough.

I’m trying to figure out what certain parts are and if they are operating correctly so I can figure out run time and whether I should get a new pump.

This is whether the water is sucked to the filter I believe. The strange thing about it is that only one of the holes sucks. The other one doesn’t seem to do anything?
3991A295-12EA-40F2-950D-130B7518CB77.jpeg
I think the following are where the water comes back to the pool? It looks like they should have some kind of covers on them. There are 3 more where the water returns on the side of the pool as well as some at the attached spa.

2BD4AF0D-8D50-4CB8-BB4D-CF1F437F68AD.jpeg
Any ideas what this is? I wonder if it’s a thermometer?

1AD49A0F-98FC-441F-ACC0-3F494CFA4DB7.jpeg

Second pic looks like a standard safety drain where both of those pipes merge into the same one under the pool but the covers have been removed. You possibly have to turn a valve to activate those between your skimmers (the first pic) and the floor drains. The 2nd hole in the skimmers is to tie in the floor drain. It is an option setting and most pools do not use this hole so it does nothing. The spring loaded port is a either a vacuum or pressure port (for a vacuum). There should also be a valve to activate this port.

Is the stuff in the skimmer slimy? Do you need to scrape it off? I suspect it is algae. What is your chlorine level? What are all of your chemical levels?

Can you post a pic of your equipment pad showing the plumbing and valves.

Second pic looks like a standard safety drain where both of those pipes merge into the same one under the pool but the covers have been removed. You possibly have to turn a valve to activate those between your skimmers (the first pic) and the floor drains. The 2nd hole in the skimmers is to tie in the floor drain. It is an option setting and most pools do not use this hole so it does nothing. The spring loaded port is a either a vacuum or pressure port (for a vacuum). There should also be a valve to activate this port.

Is the stuff in the skimmer slimy? Do you need to scrape it off? I suspect it is algae. What is your chlorine level? What are all of your chemical levels?

Can you post a pic of your equipment pad showing the plumbing and valves.

Drains?! I have drains?! All this time I've been pumping the water out using a sump-pump during rain? lol Are these drains typically connected to our city waste?

The skimmer hole is interesting. Is that the only place that sucks water to the filter? It seems like such a small pipe to do all that work with so many others returning the water to the pool.

I better find the port to turn on the vacuum, that would be so helpful. I've just been running the hose to the skimmer hole and that is no easy process.

Yes, I think I have algae, I'm in the middle of a SLAM right now. I'm guessing the "dirt" I keep seeing is algae dying off maybe? Chem levels prior to slam were TA 120, CYA 45, TC 5, PH 7.8, Calcium 200.

I brought the PH down to 7.3 and brought my TC to 16-18 yesterday and have been running the pump non stop. The difference in the water is already apparent. God bless this forum and it's people.

Drains?! I have drains?! All this time I've been pumping the water out using a sump-pump during rain? lol Are these drains typically connected to our city waste?

The skimmer hole is interesting. Is that the only place that sucks water to the filter? It seems like such a small pipe to do all that work with so many others returning the water to the pool.

I better find the port to turn on the vacuum, that would be so helpful. I've just been running the hose to the skimmer hole and that is no easy process.

Yes, I think I have algae, I'm in the middle of a SLAM right now. I'm guessing the "dirt" I keep seeing is algae dying off maybe? Chem levels prior to slam were TA 120, CYA 45, TC 5, PH 7.8, Calcium 200.

I brought the PH down to 7.3 and brought my TC to 16-18 yesterday and have been running the pump non stop. The difference in the water is already apparent. God bless this forum and it's people.

Drains, as in a suction port that goes from your pool to your pump (same as your skimmers). Most pools have a floor drain, which sucks water from the pool to the pump. Those are typical safety drains but should have a mesh cover on them. You should have a valve that changes from your main drains to your skimmer. Both the skimmers and the drains to do the same thing. You should also have other ports on the wall of your pool for return water which is water that has gone through your pump, filter, heater, or other devices and is "returning" to the pool. I would think you should have at least 2 returns in your pool located on the wall of the pool.

With both holes open in the bottom of the skimmer, the MD is likely plumbed to the skimmer. And you are missing the diverter valve that goes over the holes in the skimmer.

Post a picture of the valving prior on the suction side of the pump.

Drains, as in a suction port that goes from your pool to your pump (same as your skimmers). Most pools have a floor drain, which sucks water from the pool to the pump. Those are typical safety drains but should have a mesh cover on them. You should have a valve that changes from your main drains to your skimmer. Both the skimmers and the drains to do the same thing. You should also have other ports on the wall of your pool for return water which is water that has gone through your pump, filter, heater, or other devices and is "returning" to the pool. I would think you should have at least 2 returns in your pool located on the wall of the pool.
This makes sense now thank you. So I can pull water from the pool using the skimmer or the floor drains. That's how one would drain the pool using the pump. I have 3 return ports on the walls of the pool, and more at the spa.

With both holes open in the bottom of the skimmer, the MD is likely plumbed to the skimmer. And you are missing the diverter valve that goes over the holes in the skimmer.

Post a picture of the valving prior on the suction side of the pump.
IMG_1528.jpgIMG_1529.jpg

This is all so fascinating.

Does anyone know what the 4th picture in the original post is? Or how to turn on the vacuum hole?

This makes sense now thank you. So I can pull water from the pool using the skimmer or the floor drains. That's how one would drain the pool using the pump. I have 3 return ports on the walls of the pool, and more at the spa.

Just double checking that you understand the role of the "drain" holes at the bottom of your picture. They do not "drain" water out of your pool. All the drains do is feed water to your pump so that it can be filtered/heated/chlorinated, then it is returned to your pool via the returns.

Think of it all as 1 big loop:

1. Water is sucked from the pool from the skimmers at the top and the drains at the bottom
2. Then that water travels underground to your equipment pad
3. Next it passes through the pump, filter, heater and chlorinator in that order
3. Finally it travels underground and re-enters your pool via the returns

I have no idea on the 4th picture. Could it be a light?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It is very hard to tell in your pic what things are can you post better pics? The 2 I labeled in the below could be your main drain and your skimmer. But it also could be a drain from your spa and a drain from your pool. As Marty said, your main drain and your skimmer might be tied together with a single pipe. The box between the 2 is an automated valve controller. Which more says it could be controlling the return from your spa and the return from your pool. When you put your pool into spa mode, what does that valve do? What control system do you have?

Untitled-1.jpg

Just double checking that you understand the role of the "drain" holes at the bottom of your picture. They do not "drain" water out of your pool. All the drains do is feed water to your pump so that it can be filtered/heated/chlorinated, then it is returned to your pool via the returns.

Think of it all as 1 big loop:

1. Water is sucked from the pool from the skimmers at the top and the drains at the bottom
2. Then that water travels underground to your equipment pad
3. Next it passes through the pump, filter, heater and chlorinator in that order
3. Finally it travels underground and re-enters your pool via the returns

I have no idea on the 4th picture. Could it be a light?
Yes I understand it now. I thought for second I had a drain drain. :) Thank you for the clarification.

A light? I don't know. It's so tiny. From your experience, where are temp sensors located? My Jandy has a temp readout so I thought maybe it was that. I HOPE it's a light. There's only one large light bulb on the side of the pool and it doesn't do enough to light the pool well at night. The area where that fixture is in the 4th picture would do well by being lit by it if it's indeed a light. It's tiny though. Maybe 2"?

It is very hard to tell in your pic what things are can you post better pics? The 2 I labeled in the below could be your main drain and your skimmer. But it also could be a drain from your spa and a drain from your pool. As Marty said, your main drain and your skimmer might be tied together with a single pipe. The box between the 2 is an automated valve controller. Which more says it could be controlling the return from your spa and the return from your pool. When you put your pool into spa mode, what does that valve do? What control system do you have?

View attachment 172408

Apologies. I don't know what I'm looking well enough to even know what to photograph.

I switched the top valve and it appears to shut off the returns to the pool and then the spa begins to bubble. I switched it back to its original position and both pool and spa returns appear to be running at the same time.

The bottom one, I switched to the other position and it appears to cut off the returns to the spa, I think it may even be draining the spa into the pool.

I do know the filter itself has a separate handle that allows me to backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.