What are the steps I should take: 1 month neglect, high wind and a thin layer algae

Mar 8, 2018
Las Vegas, NV
Ok so to start this off I will give a little back ground and provide as much info as I know about my pool and equipment.

I am a new pool owner. I have never had one before. The house we bought is 30+ years old and I believe the pool is too. I do not know how many gallons the pool is but it is below ground, I have what I believe is a new sand filter (not positive on the sand part) and a robot that runs around the bottom (don't know the correct name for them) also new. The previous owner, a friend of ours, took good care of the pool with regular chemicals but I do not know how on top of water testing he did. My husband has been taking care of the pool until about a month ago when he stared a new job and has not been able to care for it. Until recently I had no idea how to work any of the equipment. I now do know how and have taken over on pool care. :shock: I will be buying a water test kit today but, I need to know what steps I should take from the point we are at. I am listing all the info I can to give you all an idea as to where I am at with the pool situation.

Now I will move on to the pool and what I am working with. We live in Las Vegas in a home that is surrounded by horse property and well it is a desert so lots of dirt no matter where we are. There have been some pretty high wind days. When I look at the pool there is a later of dust/pollen/foam:confused:. I used the net and it looks like I should be able to clear that off no problem. When I look in the water, it is mostly clear but it does have a green tint to it. I am able to see the bottom well even in the deep end (9'). The worst of it is the bottom that has a layer of dirt and I have noticed a very thin layer of algae on the walls and stairs.

So with all of that said, what are the steps I should take to clear it all out and what order should I do them in? i.e. shock water then clean dirt and algae or other way around. Any help would be great and sorry for the novel. :oops:

Hello and welcome to TFP! :wave: Algae will require you to perform what we call here at TFP as a "SLAM" (link below). It's a matter of maintaining an elevated free chlorine level (with bleach) based on your current CYA (stabilizer) level. You mention ordering a proper kit, so once you obtain a TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C, just post a full set of results and we'll help you from there. Testing is not hard with either kit, and you'll be glad you did. I would also encourage you to get the magnetic speedstir as it helps a LOT with mixing. I love my TF-100 with speedstir. Simply can't say enough good things about it.

I was raised there, and I know about the challenges you can encounter - not just weather and dust but the hard water. So once you post a full set of results, we'll give you some advice on all of that. Some things you can do now after you confirm the order of a test kit are:
- Update your signature with all of your pool info (much like how you see mine below). Also tell us which test you ordered.
- If you have chlorine tablets in use, remove them. Use just "regular" laundry bleach for chlorine (same ingredient). Tell us how many gallons your pool is and we can help with that.
- Read the vital links below in my signature, and also save them for future reference. Once you get your test kit, you'll refer to those often.

The whole pool testing thing is not hard, and you'll be so happy to be in charge of what goes in the water - plus saving a LOT of money as opposed to the local pool store. Stick around, read a bit, and keep us posted and we'll help you along the way. Nice to have you with us.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.