What am I doing wrong? How long to clear?

reeltor

Well-known member
May 31, 2012
47
0
#1
I have been vacuuming the pool at least once a day and twice most days.
I do have a pretty blue color, starting to see the bottom in the shallow area, but still am using chlorine overnight.

Latest test is as follows: 33,000 gallon Vinyl w/sand filter

FC 10-1/2
CC 1
PH 7.2
TA 100
CH 480
CYA 30

for the last several days the FC and CC have been pretty constant when measured in the a.m.
I took a sample to Leslie's to double check for copper, (before I found the BBB I added a couple quarts of copper algacide )
No metals found.

Using a sand filter w/ a little de to help it filter the fine stuff.

Should I keep the chlorine around 13 or will adding more speed up the process?
 

coffeegoddss

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
94
0
Minooka, IL
#2
I believe you're supposed to keep it at shock level until the water is A) sparkly clear B). CC is .5 or less, AND C) you lose 1pmm of FC or less overnight.
 

reeltor

Well-known member
May 31, 2012
47
0
#3
I am still reading through the posts and advice in the pool school. One thing I just saw is that CH can cause cloudiness; since the chlorine is being used up by something I will keep the shock level up. As an aside, how do you know if the cloudiness is caused by dead algae etc. or high CH level. Level is high from using up the last of the Cal-Hypo I had on hand.
 

coffeegoddss

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
94
0
Minooka, IL
#4
I don't know about the CH level but dead algea can cause cloudiness and I believe sand filters can take up to a week to filter it out. If your still failing the OCLT test, though, it means there is still organic material in the pool that is causing the chlorine to be consumed. You need to keep it at shock level until you pass the OCLT and everything is dead.
 
#7
Just because your levels are right, doesn't mean your pool will be clear. You need to give your filter a chance to clean all of the debris in your pool water.

Maintain your chlorine at shock level, and continually run your filter, until your water is clear, you have .5 or less CC, and you can maintain your chlorine level overnight.
 

Isaac-1

LifeTime Supporter
TFP Expert
May 10, 2010
6,711
1
49
SW Louisiana
#8
Scrub in places where algae may hide like under ladder steps, etc. Keep it at shock level (over 12 ppm for a CYA level of 30) UNTIL you pass OCLT
 

reeltor

Well-known member
May 31, 2012
47
0
#9
Thanks for the encouragement :goodjob:

I have a question about CC

This morning my readings show that I still have algae or something using chlorine
CYA at 30

FC 9.5
CC 1.5
PH 7.2

added bleach (it's raining, so I added extra) and 30 oz 20 mule team, and let the water circulate for about 2 hours
new readings

FC 15.5
CC 1

PH 7.5

The "pool stored" in me is telling me I need to raise the FC level to "convert" the CC. I am assuming that when the algae is dead and gone by keeping at or above shock levels the CC will take care of itself. True?
 

reeltor

Well-known member
May 31, 2012
47
0
#11
duraleigh said:
I am assuming that when the algae is dead and gone by keeping at or above shock levels the CC will take care of itself. True?
That's correct....hold what you've got and the CC's result will get to .5ppm or less.
:goodjob: :goodjob: I'll keep at it. BTW the wife said something about spending more money to buy bleach. I informed her that she didn't know about the $400 spent last spring at the pool store and another $300 2-weeks later and so on and so on.
 

coffeegoddss

LifeTime Supporter
May 12, 2012
94
0
Minooka, IL
#12
Isaac-1 said:
Scrub in places where algae may hide like under ladder steps, etc. Keep it at shock level (over 12 ppm for a CYA level of 30) UNTIL you pass OCLT
I've been in the shock process for weeks now - couldn't figure out WHERE it could be hiding and coming from. I took EVERYTHING out of the pool. I'd think I finally got it, let the kids swim, and the morning after, BLAM, it was back. Someone mentioned maybe the kids were just stirring up the water and hitting something I missed and it made a lightbulb go off. I stuck my head over the edge (wet top of my head made the neighbors laugh) and looked up under the cap... YUP! All sorts of nasty stuff along the edge of the liner and up under the cap where no one could see easily.

When they say scrub everything and everywhere...they mean EVERYWHERE!!
 

reeltor

Well-known member
May 31, 2012
47
0
#13
No hanging steps or light in the pool so it's relativity easy to brush. I do have a pollen ring around the very top of the liner, out of the water at this time. I was trying to clear the pool and then was going to use one of the soft scrub brushes for the car that hooks up to the hose, was thinking of filling the handle with bleach to kill anything that was loosened up. Starting to see the bottom.