Wet niche grounding question

Mar 23, 2018
Flower Mound, TX
During construction we're having done at our house, the conduit that connects the wet niche (pool light) to the junction box was damaged, requiring us to cut the green #8 ground wire and the lamp cable. The breaker for the lights has been turned off.

Obviously I will be repairing the conduit and running new wires (likely a new light too), however until then I'm wondering if the disconnected ground wire presents a safety problem for swimming (or for that matter, getting in the water to remove the light etc.).

Thanks.

Was that niche providing the water bond for your pool? Often the wet light niche provides the required water bond.

All I know is that the green wire runs from the light niche to the deck junction box. I can only assume that the answer to your question is yes (and thus my concern).

The green wire doesn’t provide the water bond. There would have been a bare copper wire from a bonding lug on the niche to the bonding grid.

Is the niche metal or plastic?

The green wire is a supplemental ground. It's not a problem as long as the light is not powered. There should be a bond wire on the outside of the niche that connects to the inside of the niche and provides the water bond.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.