LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2013
Fayetteville, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We FINALLY got a timer installed for our pump. Went from running it pretty much 24/7 to running it from 10pm to 2am.

Questions:
-Will test results taken mid-day still be reliable?
- Because our pool is old and wonky (not level) we have a jet that’s aerating when the pump is running. Since that’s not happening except 4 hours per day now, I’m trying to get used how our ph is reacting. Yesterday at 10am TA was 70 and ph was 7.8 (perfectly where I like it). We had some heavy storms go through yesterday - got so much rain we had to dump some water via backwash last night to get below the top of the skimmers for circulation! This evening the TA is still 70, but ph has dropped to 7.2. Seems a bit much to me, but Under these conditions is this normal?

How do you chlorinate your pool? You use Trichlor?

Best to run your pump for at least 30 minutes before water tests.

Water chemicals will stratify when it sits still. You have to stir the pool to get good chemical tests.

Reactions: Household6
Liquid chlorine or bleach.

30 minutes?! Aw maaaan! That means I have to manually turn the pump on!
AND remember to turn it off!
Do what I do. Turn on the pump when you head outside, dose the pool, then sit in the convenient chair and enjoy the evening for 30 min. Take an adult beverage with you for even more relaxation. Then get up, take a sample, go back inside, and turn off the pump.

A nice relaxing time was had, and you can call it " handling issues with the pool, " in case anyone questions you.

Reactions: Hootz
We FINALLY got a timer installed for our pump. Went from running it pretty much 24/7 to running it from 10pm to 2am.

Questions:
-Will test results taken mid-day still be reliable?
- Because our pool is old and wonky (not level) we have a jet that’s aerating when the pump is running. Since that’s not happening except 4 hours per day now, I’m trying to get used how our ph is reacting. Yesterday at 10am TA was 70 and ph was 7.8 (perfectly where I like it). We had some heavy storms go through yesterday - got so much rain we had to dump some water via backwash last night to get below the top of the skimmers for circulation! This evening the TA is still 70, but ph has dropped to 7.2. Seems a bit much to me, but Under these conditions is this normal?
Is there a particular reason you picked those times? I know some electric companies have "off peak" rates, so if so I get it. Otherwise, you could schedule your four hours during a time you are at home and can test. I personally run ours from 9am-Noon and any testing is done around 10am, allowing plenty of time for "pre-mix" and for adding any chemicals.

Is there a particular reason you picked those times? I know some electric companies have "off peak" rates, so if so I get it. Otherwise, you could schedule your four hours during a time you are at home and can test. I personally run ours from 9am-Noon and any testing is done around 10am, allowing plenty of time for "pre-mix" and for adding any chemicals.

EXACTLY. Trying to use the off-peak hours. I didn’t exactly look them up, but knew 10-2 should be in there.
Tks!

Reactions: HeyEng
Do what I do. Turn on the pump when you head outside, dose the pool, then sit in the convenient chair and enjoy the evening for 30 min. Take an adult beverage with you for even more relaxation. Then get up, take a sample, go back inside, and turn off the pump.

A nice relaxing time was had, and you can call it " handling issues with the pool, " in case anyone questions you.

I like your thinking. If I decide to do mornings, it’s 5 o’clock somewhere, right?

Reactions: Palpatine

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.