Welp, everything's here

I has a grrr. Went out yesterday to take a picture and got a good look at the low spot. It's just the lowest point of the yard! Leveling must be redone!!:hammer:

It looks like the slope runs about 4 inches from the top of the circle to the bottom -- in other words, the high end is around 4" higher than the low end.

Luckily the ground is soft from the rain, and we can use the tiller to bust it up to remove. So much for the level-on-a-board method. I'm going to send Mike to the store for the makings of a two-stick water level. If it worked on the pyramids, it'll work for me.

Better late than never, I suppose.:rant::pth:

It's about 6 feet from the AC unit. There are really no codes or rules about pools in my town/county and precious few in the state for in ground pools. These Intex type pools are considered toys and non-permanent structures, and you can have one anywhere you want. The guy I talked to at the City of Bremen said I could put it on top of my house if I wanted.

Reactions: Divin Dave
Had to have a "come to Jesus" moment with my husband today, because he questioned all the fiddly work we're putting into prepping the site. "It's only going to last a year or two before you replace it anyway," he said. What difference will a 4 inch out of level possibly make.

I showed him the RIP above ground pool thread and pointed out there would be 4000 gallons of water in the pool, weighing some 32,000 lbs, all of it pressing up on that one little point in the pool. I said I didn't want to be in the pool when it decided to let go, which was a "when", not an "if."

Also told him some folks have had these type of pools up for years, not just one or two. It's all down to doing the prep work right.

He came in a little while later and said he'd ordered tubing to make a water level from Amazon. We have or can get everything else locally ( HD is about 20 miles away). I know I heard him watching the same water level videos from YT I've watched.

Thanks to TFP for the knowledge and confidence to school my hubster on the importance of doing it right the first time!

:lovetfp:

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Got the water level built and it works like a charm. Took it out today to do a little practicing, and it's so easy and intuitive! Tomorrow we're going to tackle leveling the pavers, then start taking the high end down. According to the several measurements we took, we're about 3 1/2 to 4 inches out of level in the west side of the site.

Unfortunately my ankles are no better -- have a rheumatologist appt next week -- so poor Mike and Patrick have to do the tilling and scraping. I feel so bad -- this is MY project and I haven't been able to do a freakin' THING regarding the heavy lifting. I hate seeing Mike and Patrick doing it all by themselves. About all I can realistically do is sit in a chair and sidewalk supervise. Man, do I feel useless!

Oh well, at the end of it all we'll have a nice, safe pool, which I intend to INSIST Mike and Patrick enjoy, even if I can't get in it. At least I can enjoy doing the testing and balancing. There's that, at least!

Reactions: Msch99
Got the leveling done today! We had to till and scrape about half of the site, but it's now level within 1/2 inch all around. I supervised and Mike and Patrick did the tilling and scraping. Doughty men and true.

Tomorrow will be the careful and level installation of the pavers, then Monday maybe putting up the pool!

Reactions: JLizard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Got 7 of 14 pavers set, all nicely level to one another. Might get the rest set this evening, or tomorrow, most likely tomorrow. Then pool set up either tomorrow evening or Saturday!

And how good will it feel to fall into a nice level firmly supported ABG pool we built with our own six hands!

Wasn't actually too bad. We went out in the morning while it was in the 70s still, and we had lots of nice cool breezes. Then during the hot part of the day we had naps! Naps are GOOOOOOD...

I thought about going out and finishing up this evening, but I'm whacked. Tomorrow is soon enough. Maybe set up the pool tomorrow afternoon/evening and get it started filling -- wouldn't that be cool!!

ONWARD!!!

Reactions: Msch99
Got three more pavers set, but probably got to reset them -- it was SO hot I'm not sure they're level within themselves. We'll see. Got four more to do.

Had to send Mike out to fill the holes with water last evening, the clay is so dry and hard it's like so much rock. I'll probably ask him to do it again tonight, then we'll get the rest done, lay out the pool to have a little sunbathe, then set it up Sunday for a nice dip Memorial Day, I hope hope hope!

Got two wind chimes for my poolside paradise. Here's one

And here's the other

They're not fancy or anything, but they're pretty and make a lovely sound. I'm going to do a combination of beachhouse and Zen garden I think.

Patrick went out and set a couple of pavers last night, took pity on his broke-down ol' mama. He also did a test of our water flow rate at the bib we're going to use to fill it, he filled a gallon in 10 seconds. 6 gallons per minute, 360 gallons per hour, means about 11 hours to fill the pool! We can monitor it until we go to bed, then turn it off, and finish filling the next morning. Balance it, and GET IN after an hour of course!

THIS IS HAPPENING, PEOPLE!!!! :whoot::whoot::whoot::whoot:

Reactions: JLizard

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.